Help with Dell splash screen format

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by en4rab, May 2, 2010.

1. crc-error404

crc-error404 MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2010
    #21 crc-error404, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    Hi Apokrif!

Im in a small group which are working hard to get Mac OSX running smoothly on different Dell D Series ... Maybe u will have a look at ???.osxlatitude.com and maybe u will join us ...

OSX is really a different experience to MS - so its worth to try it :D

How I said ive allready changed the pics but i doesnt find the hex where i can change the whole background color... Maybe a pic say more than 1000 words.

hxxp://h-2.abload.de/img/dell_splashhyi7.jpg (sorry cant post direct links :( )

Please if u have any ideas what i can do - let me know

thanks CRC

2. crc-error404

crc-error404 MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2010
    #23 crc-error404, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    Thank u for your response Apokrif...

Btw do u know if it is possible to deactivate the memory limitation (u are owning a d430?) or is it a hardware given problem? ahm and i think u know im really new in bios modifications... so i read much but doesnt know where a noob like me can jump in first... so maybe u have some links or some program names which helps me to get better sight into bios structures/modules... im playing with winhex to edit the modules but when u say

i have the question how can i insert a code in a bunch of numbers...?

cheers

3. Apokrif

Apokrif MDL Addicted

Dec 7, 2008
    Too many questions – I guess you can start with reading “BIOS Mods Forum” stickies
    Take a look at flat assembler. And you need some kind of disassemble tool too.
    It definitely takes time to learn all this stuff.
    You may want to check other BIOS mod sites - MDL is leaning more toward SLIC mods
    Sorry - not very helpful answer, I guess. You do need to learn a lot before you can do even simple mod.

4. crc-error404

crc-error404 MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2010
    Once again thanks for response!

2 questions at least... Can u sent me the name of the other forums (googled it - but doesnt found any helpful site)? Maybe as pm if links to other boards arent allowed. And in a other thread uve spoken from a non public released simplified module editor ... Any chance to get it from u? ;)

Thanks br

Crc

5. tcw

tcw MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2011
    I see this is an old topic, but I'm trying to modify my splash screen on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. The old Dell splash utility doesn't work on this model. I've been playing around with the Phoenix tool, and not really made any progress. The Dell .exe BIOS files can't be "extracted", get an error about Visual C++ Overlay with Universal Extractor, and WinRar or 7Zip can't open it either.-

Any ideas? My Googling for this concept led me to this forum...

6. cocus

cocus MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi, sorry for reactivating an old thread.
    Well, I have 3 Latitude C640 here, all with Bios revision A10 (the latest one).
    I've added the custom bmp with the splash.exe utility, but when I enable it (my bmp is shown, instead the Dell one), the background color turns to light blue. I really want to change it to black.
    So, what can I do?
    * replace the Dell bitmap with my one
    * find that light blue color in the bios upgrade and patch it to black

thanks!

7. en4rab

en4rab MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    cocus does your custom bmp have light blue as one of its colours in the pallette?
    From memory is i thin the dell bmp i looked at had a 16 colour pallette, its possible that when displaying the image it is selecting one of the colours in the pallette as the background colour, if this is the case carefull selection of the pallete might allow you to have a black background with your logo.
    This is just a guess though.