Help with Hewlett-Packard XP OEM

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by In2it, Jun 23, 2008.

1. In2it

In2it MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2007
    I have a copy of Windows XP SP3 Hewlett Packard OEM which i built from various sources. I modified my bios using dmicfg and entered System Manufacurer as 'Hewlett-Packard' as instructed and all is fine.

I have an old HP laptop Omnibook xe3-gc which was sold with Win98. In the System Manufacturer is Hewlett-Packard without '. I cannot change with dmicfg as bios are Phoenix. Do you think above copy of XP will work on the laptop? If no, how do i change the System Manufacturer.

2. MarkMan

MarkMan MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2007
    Yes it should work.

I have bios with Hewlett-Packard with no quote marks and it activated fine.

3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Yes provided the OEMBIOS.xxx files on your XP cd are for Hewlett-Packard all will work with no problem.

I have four of these laptops and they work nice on XP, a bit slow at booting but once at desktop are great surfing the internet and non taxing tasks, even the odd Popcap game!:D

If possible increase the memory from standard 128MB to 256Mb or above for a bit of a speed up!

They will work with a 40GB IDE drive, not tested with anything larger.

The quotes are ignored when the system checks for the Hewlett-Packard string in the DMI area.

Have fun!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. In2it

In2it MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2007
    Worked

I finally tried installing and all ok. Thanks.