Help with Info about Windows 7 product I.D. Codes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by phukme, Dec 2, 2012.

1. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I've done some searching, both g00gle and here in the forum, but found no suitable answers. What I wanted to find out is info about the particular group elements of the product id numbers.

For instance with XP if the first 5 digits were 55277 it was an XP Home, if they were 55274 it was XP Pro.
    If the numbers were 76487 it was XP Pro, if 76477 it was XP Home - both of these were from keys after SP1a.
    Depending on the key used; the next group of 3 could be OEM - self explanatory, 640 - 649 was a corporate key, 020 was for an upgrade professional key, and I don't know what the retail key was, 'cause I never bought one!

In a similar vein, with Vista UltimateRetail Key gave a code = 89587-447-XXXXXXX-XXXXX.

I know from personal info that the following is true;
    Windows 7 Home Premium Retail Key is = 00359-112-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
    Windows 7 Business Upgrade Key is = 00371-840-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
    Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition Key is = 00426-292-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
    Windows 7 Any Time Upgrade to Ultimate Key is = 00426-104-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

So if I have a Windows 7 Ultimate key and the I.D. is 00426-437-XXXXXXX-XXXXX then what type of key is it?

Would be great if some sort of reference chart could be generated, using info supplied by other members.

For instance what kind of Product I.D. numbers do MSDN and Technet keys generate?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    THANKS FOR THE ANSWER, BUT AS FAR AS I can see that thread does not relate at all. It is specific to brand/edition key codes for OEM:SLP installs.

I was asking more about Product I.D. codes and their attributes.

Following is a copy/paste from a webpage I found specifically about XP key codes. I am wondering why someone, somewhere hasn't started a similar breakdown of Windows 7 codes.

'xxxxx' -- the Microsoft Product Code

The xxxxx section is the Microsoft Product Code, which in this case describes the platform, build, and version of Windows. Other product IDs with the same format, such as those found in Microsoft Office (and many other Microsoft products), serve the same purpose.
    'yyy' -- the Channel ID

This section of the PID describes the channel (OEM, Volume License, Retail, bundle/Not For Resale) a given XP CD/system has come from.

000 : Other (includes some retail, upgrade and evaluation versions) (includes (some?) MSDNAA discs)
    006 : MS or Partner promotions
    007 : FIXME : Retail
    009 : Not for resale - bundle
    011 : Upgrade (XP Home?)
    013 : Upgrade (XP Pro)
    071 : FIXME : Unknown.
    083 : Windows Genuine Advantage
    OEM : OEM (This does not specify royalty or normal OEM)
    270 : Volume License
    296 : MSDN
    308/347 : Microsoft Action Pack subscription
    335 : Retail
    640 through 652 : Volume License (usually generated via 270 CID in setupp.ini)
    699 : Volume Windows XP Tablet Edition
    770 : Retail (at least according to WGA Diagnostic)

NOTE: According to DjLizard.n*t visitor Catalyst, newer discs now check to see if the CD's volume label matches the type of CD you have. So if you make a CD with the wrong volume label, then it still won't work. I haven't been able to confirm this because most of my CDs have a custom label and all of them work fine thus far. Visit TACKtech to see a list of volume labels.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009