Help with SLP disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by curt6208, Jan 17, 2009.

1. curt6208

curt6208 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2009
    Hey just need verification, my understanding is that a xp SLP disk is like a preactivated windows disk. Do they need to be made for a specific manufacturer? Can they EVER be detected as not genuine? Will Updates run? How can I make one from a Royalty OEM disk?

2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Change oemfiles according to manufacturer

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thebigfatgeek

thebigfatgeek MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    Hello there

I have been trying now for 3 days to create an HP OEM disk by reading through the great info that is available on this site, but I am sad to say that eventually I have to ask for help:

I am using a modified VMware BIOS (I have used a patched BIOS) and also used a seprarate BIOS with the appropriate entry in the VMX file. Running OEMBIOS.exe I get on both the BIOS'es a CRC=CD4E1902 confirmation, as well as 00A1EECB and 3BA1556E1, therefore confirming I believe that the BIOS is seen as an HP machine.

I used as my source the following disks:

XP Pro VLK (SP2, SP3)
    XP Pro Retail (SP, SP3)
    Downloaded MSDN ISO, checked the SHA1 hashes to confirm the status

I then downloaded a number of HP OEMBIOS files (compressed and uncompressed) and install the 4 key files needed in i386 folder on the CD:

OEMBIOS.BI_
    OEMBIOS.CA_
    OEMBIOS.DA_
    OEMBIOS.SI_

I uncompressed OEMBIOS.CA_ to extract the CAT file and tested the CRC to see it was ok, which it was

I did not use an $OEM$ directory

I made CD's WITH and WITHOUT a WINNT.SIF file

I have tried every HP SLP key known to man and have everytime been stumped with a "Product Key is Invalid" message.

I used the VLK CD I have and created a new VM and it worked fine. I then used the OEM Bios Changer tool to convert the installation using the same OEMBIOS.* files before and this worked fine converting the installation to OEM. I checked the activation status [OOBE] and that was fine.

Now, that is one way of doing it, but I am annoyed that I have been unable to do what seems to be a fairly stock standard process for everyone else, and I would love to get this right.

How can I check the created CD's if all the required files on the CD matches?

Any other ideas on how to proceed? If you need more info please let me know I would be very pleased to provide what I can

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #4 urie, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I would use the MSDN XP Pro Retail (SP, SP3) iso and copy your oembios files you also need to edit the SETUPP.INI file in i386

Code:
    [Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76487OEM

also add winnt.sif file

Code:
    [UserData]
    ProductKey="Add Key Here"

[Data]
    MSDosInitiated=0
    UnattendedInstall=Yes

[Components]
    Fax=On

5. thebigfatgeek

thebigfatgeek MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
  6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. thebigfatgeek

thebigfatgeek MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2009
    Thanks for that, I will give it a whirl and let you know. However, should I enter the same key into the Key field after receiving the "Invalid Key" message, if the OEMBIOS.* files are correct, should it not accept it, or is it designed to only accept key via the WINNT.SIF for an OEM SLP type install?

Cheers