Help with Toshiba Mod

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bogi, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    #1 bogi, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  2. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    I just did a hex compare and the bios mod that forum member 1234s282 posted does not include a modded bios. The bios file is the exact same as the original bios file.

Could someone mod this bios for me? Thanks!

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Thanks 911Medic! It works. Some notes for future user who will use this mod on their Toshiba laptops:

- This mod will work on many (if not most) of the Toshiba Satellite A210/A215 series laptop. If your model's current downloadable bios is named sa210v200.exe and posted on Toshiba website on 7/16/2009 then this mod will work.

- This is mod only includes the 32bit winplash so I don't think you will be able to flash from within 64 bit windows. You'll need to download the 64 bit winphlasher bios update from the toshiba website and replace the .rom file with the modded on from 911Medic

- If your bios has already been flashed with the newest original toshiba bios v 2.0 then you will get an error when trying to flash this mod. It will tell you that you already have this bios version installed and it won't let you continue. To get around this you need to force the program to flash by editing an ini file. The toshiba flash program extracts the WINPLASH tool to a temp location at C:\Windows\Temp\WINPLASH. In there you need to edit the winplash.ini file and then run the winplash.exe file. Then you need to change some settings as per this old post I found here at MDL

Hi ,
    On your advice I contacted Yen, and he told me how to bring up advanced options to force a flash. Thanks Yen, you are the man! I will try when I get home, but I can now see the advanced options , but don't want to flash it from work by remote desktop, as I'm sure a reboot will be required.

Maybe someone could make a more user friendly dos based flasher package for this?

Thanks again for the mod!!!

5. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    I may have spoken too soon. After flashing this davids slic dump toolkit shows that the bios is slic 2.1 but after installing cert and key, it still isn't activated. This is on the Polish version. That should use the same cert and keys as the other version right?

6. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #6 FreeStyler, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Do you have used the proper Certificate? Toshiba has several as you might know
    If the bios reports 2.1 without errors, 99% chance you did something wrong yourself, either with key or Cert

7. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    I may have not used the right cert because I used Daz's program based loader to automatically install just the cert and key. I did not use it to install the loader. When Daz's loader started it automatically selected the toshiba cert and I used a Dell key. It's possible that Daz's loader installed the incorrect cert. How do I determine the correct toshiba cert?

8. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Freestyler,

I found your pubkeycompare tool. I will try and figure it out.

9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    didnt I include a key installer. The toshiba slic is TOSCPL00..Why use the loaders and risk it????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    911Medic,

I just double checked and the file you posted only does not include a key installer.

I only used Daz's loader to install the cert and key (I did NOT choose the option to install the loader) because that is the easiest way I know how. I have done it before for other bios mods without issue.

Right now I am looking through the forums to find the cert to manually install it.

11. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Okay I found the file posted here that has all the certs. I will try to use the correct one and see what happens... after I come back from lunch.

12. bogi

bogi MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Ok, I got it activated. Daz's loader must've used one of the other Toshiba certs.

And I found the spot is David's SLIC Dump Toolkit that shows which SLIC version is installed so in the future I won't run into this problem again.

Thanks again for all your help.

13. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    np, glad i could help, success with your genuine Win 7 ;)

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008