Help with Toshiba Windows 7 Pro OA

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shelve, Mar 7, 2012.

1. shelve

shelve MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Hello everyone,

Apologies if I'm repeating a question that may have been asked a million times but I did try to follow various guides on here before registering and all I did was confuse myself no end.

My problem is this...

I had a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Pro OA (the OA was on the label unde the laptop not sure what it means). Unfortunately my Toshiba laptop is now dead. I recently bought a second hand Dell laptop with Linux (used to be Vista).

I tried to install Windows 7 Pro from a download from here but when I entered the key from my old Toshiba it refused to accept it. I realise it's something to do with OEM and PID but as I said the more I read the clueless I ended up where I was going wrong.

If someone could please direct me in the right direction as to where download a Toshiba W7 Pro I would be very grateful.

Or is it not posssible to install a Toshiba W7 to a Dell?

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Regards

Shelve

2. shelve

shelve MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Thank you for your reply ACRSN,

If all fails I will ultimately try your suggestion but I was wondering can't I just install Win 7 and use my old key in the new computer? I figured as I paid for it I might as well get the full use rather than use a loader.

Thanks once again

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Because the key on the sticker is OEM:COA key not OEM:SLP key also to activate windows 7 you need slic2.1 in bios you have slic 2.0 for vista.

4. shelve

shelve MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Hello Urie,

Thank you for that. I've been reading about SLIC stuff and now understand. I will have to go with the loader as was suggested.

Thank you all for your help.

A little rant here. If Microsoft would charge reasonable prices for their OSs like Apple do, not many people would mind buying their systems but hey ho.

Thanks again

5. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    You could also see if there is a BIOS mod for your Toshiba that has SLIC 2.1 and then have OEM activation.

There was a BIOS mod for my old Toshiba L25 series laptop that allowed me to OEM-activate Win 7, although it didn't stay on since the hardware was older and slower, lol.