Help with using old Win 7 HDD on new motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hardstriker2, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Hardstriker2

Hardstriker2 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    #1 Hardstriker2, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    To the one who helps,
    I guess I will start from the beginning of what lead up to me titling this thread as I did. A year ago I bought an HP computer from Best Buy with windows 7 home premium (HP h8-1234). I moved the motherboard to a new case and upgraded the PSU and GPU. But now the motherboard is not meeting my needs. I am deciding between two new motherboards on newegg, product codes: N82E16813130637 and N82E16813128627. This is where my main question is. Can I use that 1tb seagate HDD that I have and am using right now with a new motherboard? After research I found that there will be driver issues and the WIndows 7 license is bound to that HP motherboard. Due to being on a budget, google has led me here.

This is what I think I need to do, but I am not sure at all. I would need to make an image backup. Make an Windows 7 iso dvd (but I do not know where I would get a Windows 7 download). Remove all old motherboard drivers (I am not sure how to remove then yet). Install new motherboard. Insert all components and boot with the Windows 7 iso dvd. Select repair, and hopefully repair it to work with the new motherboard. Then download Daz's loader and use it with windows.
    :confused:

Could someone please: Help me if my list of steps is wrong.
    Where can i get a virus free download of windows 7?
    What is this stuff about needing to delete some KB phone home update?
    Will this stuff all work with UEFI bios?
    Is there a decent tutorial I have not found yet that I can follow?

Or should I just get a new HDD, find a windows 7 ultimate iso to put on dvd (if so where would I find it?), do fresh install and use daz's loader?
    :confused:

I would prefer to use my old HDD but I am not sure if it is possible and/or too difficult to do?

Thank you for your help
    -Hardstriker2
    P.S. the account I made with Hardstriker as the user name never received its activations email
    P.P.S. I apologize if my information is not clear in my question

EDIT: Would I also need to create a Windows repair disk? to repair it so it works with new motherboard? would that even fix any driver issues? Or would I just boot from the iso dvd I will create?
    Thanks

EDIT: Maybe I should just get a new hdd and save myself the grief. Could someone please help me out if you get the chance?

EDIT: i think I may have found out a solution but I am not sure at all so please make sure you read everyhing. First, back up everything. Use sysprep to remove all old drivers (i do not know where to down load it from though). Then reboot with new motherboard and install drivers. Lastly activate windows with daz loader?

I think I am just confusing myself more...
    Thank you ahead of time!

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, that is pretty much what I was going to suggest. Sysprep, shut down, and transfer disk to new board.

4. Hardstriker2

Hardstriker2 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    Ok since it sounds like that will work, where could I download sysrep from, i have not found any links yet?

5. Hardstriker2

Hardstriker2 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    Oh wow, I feel dumb, I never realized it was already on my computer! Thanks!

6. Hardstriker2

Hardstriker2 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    That stuff about modding the slic 2.1 on bios seems very difficult. I think I will try the sysprep with daz loader to see if that works. If not I can always pick up a new hdd and fresh install.

7. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009

The activation problem will need to be solved regardless of whether you reuse the old disk or install on a new one. A bios mod with slic on the new motherboard is an excellent idea, but Daz loader could also be used to inject slic without modding, perhaps on a somewhat more temporary nature.

8. Hardstriker2

Hardstriker2 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    Ok thanks, I will order my motherboard now and attempt to sysprep my hdd for it properly, (I found a tutorial for that). I think I will use daz loader first and then worry about the slic bios mod. Thank you very much for your help!