Help with Win 8.1...don't know where else to turn

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 4cstr, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #21 Wazoo, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    My system must be completely messed up. I received my DVI cord today. Came home...shut the system down, plugged the DVI cord into the monitor and PC, fired it all up, and nothing. Monitor said that it wasn't receiving a signal and was going to go into power saving mode in 5 minutes.

Since I am not allowed to post up pictures nor links until 20 posts, below you can see the back of my monitor:

dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Desktop/CM1745/E8163_CM1745.pdf

The only difference is that where is shows #15 on the back, I do not have the second DVI port. All that is there is the VGA and HDMI ports. All else is the same.

And the link above on how to get into the BIOS and configure it looks nothing like my BIOS. There is nothing that says "System Agent Configuration" or "Chipset". I clicked on everything that I could, and although I found something that said for dual monitor, I didn't find anything that said PCI/iGPU or PCI/IGD and I was too skittish to begin randomly changing settings. I did change the setting to dual monitor, saved it and re-booted, and when it was booting up it asked me for a boot disk. I shut the system down, turned it back on, went into the BIOS setting and reverted back to "optimized default configuration".

Ugh...this is just getting frustrating. This shouldn't be this hard to solve. Please keep the suggestions coming. Anything short of putting a bullet through the monitor I will try...and may try the bullet if this keeps up. :D

3. kbman

kbman MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2012
    Did you just go to asus to download the video driver? I would suggest going to amd and downloading the video driver from them.

4. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    I have done both, with similar results.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Could be that the bios is not booting from the specific device? You could try resetting bios to defaults and see if it works.

6. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #26 Wazoo, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    CM1745-E8163.jpg

Item 4 is on-board HDMI output
    Item 5 is on-board DVI output
    Item 17 is on-board VGA output

Item 15 is the Primary Video device and has a VGA output and an HDMI output (as you have identified)

The on-board video outputs will only function if they are ENABLED in the BIOS.
    Plugging a DVI cable into the on-board video DVI output will indicate NO SIGNAL because the on-board video has not been ENABLED so no signal is present.
    ASUS CM1745 Info.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. 4cstr

4cstr MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    :mml::mml::mml:

This is me doing my happy dance. I went back into the bios...changed it to IGFX video, re-installed my DVI cord, and bada bing...it worked. My daughters have been watching a movie on the computer with absolutely no screen flickering or changing. The picture is great with the DVI cord...and my problem appears to be solved.

Thank you...thank you...thank you all so much.

8. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    You are welcome ... you are welcome ... you are welcome. Have a good day!