Help with Wireless

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lobo11, Dec 5, 2017.

1. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I feel king of foolish but I have never used wireless anything till now, I am connected to net through Ethernet, but now use wireless for TV, Video camera outside (Ring). I can connect to my wireless network while still being connected to Ethernet, really cool till I reboot, the wireless connection goes back to a default connection until I go back and select my network with password again. My question may be lame, forgive me in advance, but is there anyway to have wireless open to my network on reboot while still keeping my Ethernet connection, Thanks. :confused::confused::confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    There should be an automatically connect checkbox. I also have ethernet, and a wifi card. The wifi card connects, but the internet goes through the ethernet card unless I disable that connection, then it is instantly on wifi.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    edit: It would seem @dhjohns types faster than I :p

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I took a semester of typing in high school. We learned with manual typewriters. My dad told me it would be the most useful course I ever took!

5. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    It has been ages since I have seen or used a manual typewriter. I think a lot of younger folks would be confused by it and frustrated on exactly how far down you needed to press on those keys. :p -- It would seem your father was right. :)

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks ya'll, OK, Microshaft, we need solution.:roflmao:

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @lobo 11:

What hardware you use for Wifi:
    • built-in WiFi from Modem-Router?
    • WiFi Access Point?
    • USB WiFi Dongle?
    If the first, and you've set your Modem-Router to work with DHCP, and also use static IP's for the wire connected computers, limit the DHCP Range to (let say) 150-250 or like that. You just even could give the WiFi devices it's own static IP's! if you'd open the Range for DHCP in your Modem-Router, the default for to startup will be DHCP first.

That said, check first the settings for your Modem-Router and adjust as needed. By the way, I would even suggest limiting the WiFi connections by limit the access to it using the Mac Addresses of the connected devices via Wifi, that would prevent any connections from the outer side.

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    built-in WiFi from Modem-Router

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Ok, first: check the WiFi config of the Modem-Router and adjust as needed.

In case that you lose the WiFi connection for the attached devices while rebooting your computer, you'll to set the Apps to Startup (Autostart) in Windows to have those apps running at a restart.

I strongly would suggest to also give static IP's to all those WiFi Devices which are 'permanently' connected at the same place in your Network.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Ok, I'm from the 'old school'! The best way for to plan a Network, do it first on a hand-drawing of the future Network and assign all related Properties and Parameters on Paper. Any changes are done within the workout, note on its correct position of the planning, before and within the actual building of the Network.

I use a Flowchart Drawing app for to create the final layout of the network with all related Settings and Parameters on its correct position, special if it's done for a customer. The App I use is SmartDraw for some years already, now version 2017. But at first, I just make a hand drawing of what I've in my mind and it should be.

The first look is always on the existing Settings and Config of the Modem and Router because all has to start with those!

Simply keep in mind, the use of static IP's for at least the wire connected devices will ease the whole job! If a Server will be on the same Network and also will/must be accessible from the Internet, that is the device which should be the used DMZ Device and declared as such in your Router. Regarding Wireless Devices, as I already wrote, I would limit them to their Mac Addresses within the Routers Access Control.

In my company, I use for the WiFi Devices a different Network (192.168.10.x) as for the wired Devices Network(192.168.1.x)! OK, I use a 'semi' Hardware Firewall Router (Smoothwall Express) with 4 NIC's (1 for WAN, 1 for Wired Devices Network, 1 for WiFi Network and 1 for Server DMZ). My Modem is used in Bridge Mode only, means the Router of the Modem didn't work at all, just the Modem only. Its because the whole Security is part of the Smoothwall, also means, I didn't need any Firewall, Av or some like that on any of the connected Workstations! That makes the whole system very secure!

And again, the upfront planning with a hand drawing will help a lot and also saves a lot of time in the final building.