Hewlett Packard - HP 650 bad flash - Is it broken or can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Toad86, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #21 Tito, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. mydigital_nikita

mydigital_nikita MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
    OK a bit wishy washy as to the first post....

1. HP 650 I got is Linux based so no access to windows to execute the HP updates.
    2. I am looking into having a USB stick with the sole purpouse of restoring the BIOS with the Windows+B keys in case a future update or me trying to get coreboot to work fails....
    So essentially I need the USB stick working just as bad as the guys with bricked HP 650 Notebooks.

The reallity for this model is that even when I hooked up an HDD with Windows 7 on it to the HP 650 and executed the
    UEFI HP softpaq to create the HP_TOOLS "environment" and then the F.37 softpaq update it did not create the "last resort" USB stick I am after....
    I am sure the other people are after the same thing ....USB stick that can recover the bios.
    I tried what a previous poster had suggested in terms of phoenixtool and that simply did nothing for me??
    I am stuck with the 1858.fd and 1859.fd files and no bin or sig files.
    I had a look at the uncompressed softpaq and there is a standalone InsydeFlash.exe file which I understand is the utility that Insyde had provided to HP.....and looking closer I saw a platform.ini file which unlocks options like backing up your existing bios among many other I do not fully understand.
    So since in that file it mentioned that the backup is done to a .bin file which is what earlier posters say that I should look for I ran the utility and got to the stage where I have a backup bin file made by InsydeFlash.exe... 1859.bin
    If I could only get the sig file that phoenixtool was suppose to generate then I could attempt to simply copy those on the HP_TOOLS usb stick and achieve what the previous posters ask about too...

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  4. mydigital_nikita

mydigital_nikita MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2013
    I've somehow missed the link to the files you have provided there...the second link to Sp57448.exe doesn't work anymore.
    I got a sp60202.exe file from HP for the USB flash drive environment setup.
    Will attempt to reflash the bios back to F.12 to see if it works ...
    is F12 key suppose to look in the USB flash drive as well or do you mean the HDD partition?(I do not have a UEFI partition on the HDD due to repartitioning)

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    U keep saying F12 ... I keep saying F2

Core boot with RSA signed.. Fun