hey guys need your opinions on comparisons

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by KOLZ, Aug 4, 2013.

1. KOLZ

KOLZ MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    As the title says I need your best and most positive (not should's) answer.

I am looking to upgrade my pc (and yes I know it's better to build my own but that's not gonna happen so please forget that idea already) and my current pc is quad core 2.20 ghz pc from 2008. The pc I am looking at has a Core i5-3470 3.20 ghz and I need to be sure which processor is better to go with. Common sense and stats are telling me the i5 3.20 just because it's stronger but I have to be sure. Now I know already that and detachable video card always out performs an on board so lets save those comments also please for the next question.

I got an old nvidia gt240 with 512 mbs of ddr5 ram. The pc I am looking as usual has to have an on board video chip with 1664MB of memory. The question is will the on board video chip do better or at least as good as the nvidia gta 240 for my current games. I have looked this all over and could never get a good answer. The reason I am not getting a good video card at the moment is because I can't so lets forget about upgrading and so on please.

2. KOLZ

KOLZ MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    lol no reply yet with all the pc people on here? really? lol.. Did I ask too complicated?:eek:

3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Buy the parts and benchmark both graphics cards, then you'll no doubt have a definitive answer.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think you'll not get an reliable answer if you didn't give us a clue what you pretend to buy! The Hardware specs are essential for to get an idea and those insludes to Brand, Name, Model etc. of the devices you like to put together!

Just an example: the Graphic card you post with 1664MB Memory seems to be an internal card with 128MB dedicated Memory and 1.5GB (1,536MB) shared Memory! This card may even not reach the performance of your old card!

So, please post all available details.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. KOLZ

KOLZ MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    Who's pretending? :eek: Not sure what the rest was supposed to mean but this is the pc that was ordered no_short_urls_allowed/16VdAGn and my old video card is a nvidia gt 240 with 512 mbs of ddr5 ram. I don't think i can possibly be any more specific than that...

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #8 EFA11, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @EFA11:

1. If I answer to an special person, I'll do do such by name them!
    2. I use Google Chrome which gives me all times problems connecting to bit.li and others too, I coulsn't deny that!
    3. in Internet Explorer, which I used today the 3. or 4. time, the link is working!
    4. I do NOT use a proxy, except I need to Websites which are blocked by Thailands ICT and that isn't often, maybe once a week!
    5. No paranoia but I've customer data on my computers which I really have to take care for and done that with out any problems till today!
    6. Maybe you've seen a psychiatrist that often that you know so well how they work, I didn't, sorry!

Regarding OP's question and answers, not only regarding this specific OP's, he came for help and therefore should provide all known infos and not let those look for it he asked for to help or did you feed your pig directly in the mouth?!

Sorry you post which answers a question not asked to you, asked and answered to the OP instead, was just inappropriate. If you have anything to tell personally, use the PM for it and NOT the public forum.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @s1ave77:

The problems I've with Chrome, for some reason much less than with FF or Safari which I also use for some websites. Those problems are related to special websites and mostly are security/Certificate problems with which I could work. For those website I use an computer which is connected to DMZ and not in my normal network. And that all has noting to do with to be paranoid, it's just a question of security.

Ok, regarding bit.ly, tell me why it come that I get every time problems AFTER I connected to some website via their links? Ad.ly is even much more bad! I was get from both quite a bit of ad's on my computer and ad..ly is even banned fully from my network. And why I should not express my experiences and view on an public forum? Maybe other having similar problems?! Why is that an accusation? An accusation was what EFA11 wrote in his post above!

Sawadee!

10. KOLZ

KOLZ MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    #11 KOLZ, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    (OP)
    Alright to be more specific the pc comes with a Intel HD Graphics 2500 with up to 1664MB total graphics memory. I been searching all over and finding nothing good about it. I was hoping that it would be equal to the nvidia gt 240 with 512 mbs of ddr5 ram if not better but from what I been reading around it's far worse but if anyone can post something that's actually helpful instead of upgrade to a better card or some lame s**t I been seeing from the previous page it would be appreciated. I been trying to find good pictures of the motherboard (H-Joshua-H61-uATX) to try to figure where to plug in the wire from the video card to the mother board because odds are I am gonna have to use the gt 240...

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    To be honest:
    1. that machine is to much expensive with app. US$700 or above
    2. Mainboard is just a Cheapo from Foxcon which is known for a lot problems with their hardware
    3. just max 26GB of Memory possible
    4. Build in Graphic never reaches the power of an separate Card
    5. Graphic Card didn't use full 1664MB dedicated Memory
    6. Power Supply is just 300 Watts which in a very low one with todays computer Hardware
    7. and more...............

For the price of US$ 700 you could get a much better machine special if you let assemble to your wishes and valet! And by all of that, there's also the terrible service of HP (in Thailand and other counties)!

I wouldn't buy any HP product anymore since I had huge problems with them and their non existing service in the past!

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    It is my understanding It's been ordered Post#5

which brings the question then why ask for oppinions/advice ?? :dunno::g:If it's a done deal

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sure about that, the OP isn't very clear with what he explain!!

Yeah, Why?

14. KOLZ

KOLZ MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    Yeah I am noticing this pc I am using has a 350 watt psu and the new one has a 300 watt psu so i am wondering now how safe it would be to even use the gt 240 on there. I know upgrading anything else would be impossible on that 300 watt psu but will the gt 240 even work on there?

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you really bought that Cheapo and expensive HP Computer, first step may should be to "Upgrade" the PSU to 400-500Watts!

16. KOLZ

KOLZ MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    #18 KOLZ, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
    (OP)
    You think? Well thanks captain obvious but I already knew that. Apparently you and the other people that have read my first post must have a reading comprehension problem. I did say I already know about upgrading, I did say save the comments because right at the moment it wouldn't be possible.. So right now I would just like to know if the the damn pc would work with the current info I gave. What I asked was about how good was the s**t on board card compare to my old gt240 and then asked would the i5 pc even work with the gt 240 installed since it has such a low psu with 300 watts, not upgrading, not buying more parts, and so on. How hard is that to understand?

Moderated. Do not forget you are asking for advice not vice versa, Yen.

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    That PSU should normally be able to run the components, if it´s an i5 system. The GT240 afair consumes about 80-100W, not more, it´s not a gaming card :D.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #20 pisthai, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013

So, let come back to normal polite talking, could we?!

As I see it, which may will differs from the view of others, your have 2 choices:
    1. stay with the system as (bad) as it is and try to get the best out
    2. spend a bit more bucks anp upgrade the PSU at least because is the worst part in that whole machine

The whole "game" is up to you and you're the only person who decide what will be done on the end!

Personally I wouldn't take the risk to work with an underpowered system, to fear all times the PSU blows up or even more! Beside of the 300W PSU, the CPU will work well with the GT240. If you like to use newer Action-Games you wouldn't be happy with the outcome me think. Same about Video editing, Rendering etc. etc.! And again, the whole thing is just up to you!