Hinky Network Icon

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Apr 9, 2016.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

Had a (Win7x64 Ultimate) no start malfunction the other day after getting about 3 "BAD_POOL_HEADER" (TCPIP related) bluescreens in a row. Finally got it to run after doing back-to-back repairs from the DVD. Now I'm getting a "no connection" icon in my tray even though it's a valid connection. I've deleted the iconcache.db and logged off, the this false icon continues to plague me. Any other ideas?

Russ

network icon.jpg

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    you could try to disable the WiFi device, plug in to an Ethernet line and then go back to your WiFi and re-enable it. See if that unplugs the drain.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If your machine is a Laptop, you may pressed the Hot-Key for WiFi?! On Acer Laptops it's the FN + F3 Key's! There should also be a Indicator Light for WiFi ON/OFF!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I found literally hundreds of suggestions to try via Google, spent a couple hours trying most of them and still have the wrong icon. Not to mention, my "network meter" gadget shows no external IP connection even though I'm typing this post online. So, still looking for a fix...

Russ

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, just go looking for a fix....!! Maybe that will need some time special if you refuse to tell what kind machine etc. you're using! Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    It's a 2-month old Toshiba C75D, AMD 4-core with 8 gigs RAM. My first two Toshiba laptops were great, this one is a sorry POS. I'm about to remove the HDD and RAM, take it out to the shop, and introduce it to my four pound mini-sledge. Had all kinds of problems reverting it to Win7, the KEYB absolutely sucks so bad I managed to break the L mouse button, and nothing but WiFi problems since day one. Very unstable piece of crap that I've about lost patience with...

Anyway, I found 4 TCPIP.sys files on my system, 3 different versions in 4 locations. I couldn't discern which is correct, SFC shows everything is good, and Process Explorer shows all MS file checksums are valid.

Luckily, my "old" Toshiba still has some life in it, can anyone recommend a 17" laptop that will take a Win7 install w/o barfing?

Russ

Attached Files:

7. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Someday, when you guys get a little older, you'll understand that change isn't always better. I remember standing in line at Best Buy when Win95 came out. Twenty years later, I'd never ever consider upgrading a perfectly good OS just "because it's new". Look at autos, we bought a 2016 Caddy CTS in January, 3 months later we're still trying to figure out WTF happened to simple sh!t like the WW washer and cruise control. Why the hell would anyone move things that had been in a fairly standard location since my first drivers license in the 60's? Because a bunch of newbie "20-something" engineers want to try and make a name for themselves. And because they can. Sucks to get old, I' don't recommend it...

Anyway, I DL'ed SP1 and will try it later today. I didn't pay attention when I online-upgraded to Ultimate, and ASSumed I would have got the latest SP during that...

Russ

8. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    I'm not telling you to upgrade to a newer OS, only to use a current and supported release of that OS. There's nothing wrong at all with running Windows 7, because it will still receive support for a number of years, but that doesn't apply to the RTM release.
    Don't waste your time troubleshooting issues on an outdated and unsupported release (and do yourself a favor and dump your RTM installation source for one that comes with SP1).

Also, as much as I enjoy driving my 28-year old car myself... I really don't think that mindset translates well when it comes to computers. :p

9. mackrack5

mackrack5 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    Try Deleting Incoming Conections if it is present there in Network Connections.

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010

I am 46 if it makes you feel better ;)

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    And I'm......Older than that :eek:

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not to know you (and those who try to help) dealing with WHAT, makes 'life' quite hard, harder as it normally is already!!

Toshiba (as well as Sony, HP, Compaq) are on a list of Hardware we not selling in my company to customers or use it for our own! That's in first line because of terrible service (in Thailand) from those companies, followed by compatibility problems!

What you should try with those older OS, download the latest driver for Windows 7 (if available), or use the oldest (if younger than that OS) and use to set it to compatibility Mode for your OS BEFORE installing! Upfront, use the Device Manager for to uninstall the installed driver (do NOT restart the computer done that) and install manually 'your' driver!

That maybe would work, but no guaranty for that! It's just worth trying!!

13. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Got it figured! Apparently, this happens when the network "profile" becomes corrupted. It got to the point where I could connect to my network, but had no internet access, finally getting the message "The capabilities of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network." Luckily, I have an old desktop that I could Google with and found the solution is to delete that particular network profile. A one minute solution after wasting 4 hours trying different settings.

In case anyone needs it, from the "Network and Sharing Center", click on "Manage wireless networks" (upper LH corner), select your faulty network, and delete it. You'll need to reenter your WEP/WPA password once your network shows back up...

BTW, I'm still gonna find another laptop and thrash this POS Toshiba into chips.

Russ

14. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, sad to say, I'm back on my 5 year old (solid!) Toshiba. Had another blue-screen this morning that would not recover, the last straw on this frustrating POS. Fixing to strip out the HDD & memory, and stick the carcass on E-Bay...

Russ

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's simply the best you could do!! Good luck!