HomeGroup Access by User Account?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jasqid, Jul 25, 2009.

1. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Has anyone found a way to deny a user account access to the established homegroup on a PC?

Here is my scenario:

Windows 7 x64 (RTM :)... 3 user accounts. (Me, Wife, Kids).

Me and Wifey are admins. Kids are standard.

I have a partition created for me and wife to access files and docs, I dont want the kids to delete these. So, in the SECURITY Properties I denied their account all access to the FILES partition. This works perfectly when in the kids user account. I get "ACCESS DENIED" when trying to click on this partition.

However,

I also have a homegroup set up so that my laptop, and wife's laptop, can access this PC's files and media. So when I am in the KIDS standard account, and click on the homegroup, I am able to navigate to this PC and the files and media on the partition that I have DENIED in the security properties. (WTF Microsoft??) It appears the security preferences setup for the partition do not carry over to the homegroup network.

Is there a way to disable the homegroup or deny access to the homegroup from this standard user account, but keep it active for my two admin accounts?

I haven't found how to do this yet. Thought GPEdit would help...

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    check the NTFS and share permissions. You are better off granting full access to the share then changing the NTFS permissions. Using full DENY permissions is not recommended though. If you don't want someone to have access to something then make sure the object is not inheriting parent permissions then remove the user from the ACL, or uncheck the access type you do not want them to have.

3. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    dont know if this will help but can find some options for setting up home groups in control panel.click start,control panel,on top of window click little arrow and select show all control panel items.then click home groups.you can set up a password etc.

4. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Yeah I just found that in the network sharing center. There is an option under the homegroup heading to let windows manage the homegroup... or Use User Accounts and Passwords. Which is what I'm trying right now.. :eek:

5. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Well... regardless of what setting you have turned on in the Network Sharing Center, a standard account with permissions AND security DENIED to the Partition can still access the files and media through the Homegroup.

(I could have sworn that I was advised when DENYING privileges, that a DENY takes precedence over all other permissions...)

Thoughts?

6. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    how about try blocking it with windows firewall?theres a lot of settings in there.have a good one.