Hosts file - plain or extra fancy?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Crime[Scene], Oct 28, 2016.

1. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    Some time back I had dozens (if not 100's) of entries in my hosts file to block known malware/adware sites. It was awkward and required near constant updating. At some point (memory does not serve me) I said "screw it" and now have a default hosts file, no additional entries. I rely on Malwarebytes Pro and Panda A/V and they seem to work for me.

What is your approach to a healthy hosts file?

2. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DogbertCommandsYou

DogbertCommandsYou MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2016
    I'm using your "screw it" approach. Simple doesn't always work, but here it does.

4. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Main advantage using host file over browser plugin is system level protection, it can prevent or redirect applications access to the internet, thus also help prevent connecting to known malicious sites. I've been using MVPS.org's for around 7 years now not aware there are other options, Hostman is a good tool to have. Thanks sml156.

5. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    #9 Jari, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    I prefer "screw it" approach with a default hosts file, well, I might have some additional entries, but for other reasons :p

There was a time, a long time ago, when I installed SpywareBlaster for many computers (as an extra protection layer) - I think that SpywareBlaster was blocking malware sites too. Some adblockers are doing that too. Adguard is doing that on system level, but I disable always that browsing security protection as unnecessary (using only adblocker of Adguard). Adguard is using also "web of trust" extension - I am not using that either ...

EDIT: if I remember right, a big hosts file might cause slower browsing speed (just to keep it in mind)

6. Foreseenothe

Foreseenothe MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2015
  7. The most about the thread is about to avoid advertise...
    What on your computer should be connect to any malicious related?
    If something doing such its called malware, antivirus can avoid that, lol.

For whole "system protection" i would not trust a short 100 KB suspect never updating hostfile alone.
    Use peerblock with several block-lists, several provided hostfiles, updating every few hours, - much better solution btw.

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Under XP, I was using Spybot S&D Immunizer. I don't know whether it prevented anything, but I did encounter sites that wouldn't load for some reason.

Under Windows 10, I haven't bothered with it yet to see what happens - no adverse effects so far.

But bear in mind that browsers and many AVs have webguards that do the same job. I am of the opinion that these plus some commons sense enable an otherwise "screw it" attitude.