Hot swap Hard Disk - need help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vantj, Mar 20, 2010.

1. vantj

vantj MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I want to have hot-swap hard disks under Windows 7 from the mother board. I have installed swappable drive bays in my PC. I have enabled AHCI in BIOS but cannot get my hard disks hot-swapped. Can anyone help.

Motherboard used is a Gigabyte-P965-DS3 v3.3

[have little hardware knowledge. So, please provide mechanical procedures in fixes. Detail is appreciated.]

2. EverWin

EverWin MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    For hot swapping once the appropriate software is installed on the computer, a user can plug and unplug the component without rebooting,..
    Do you get any driver CD or some software CD along with your new Hard Disk Hotswap?

3. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    on boards of this intel chipset (965) generation you can only successfully hotswap using the raid management software..., check it out...

good luck
    berdi

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vantj

vantj MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    Thanks! I guess I have to give up as I am not planning on using raid.

Can anyone recommand an 'inexpensive' sata (not esata, as 2 of them are included in my motherboard) controller board which support hot-swapping on a single drive?

5. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    i didnt meant that, anyway, i think, you dont need to actually use raid in order to use the intel/gigabyte raid management software...
    its just a disk management software designed to work with intel AHCI and with the option to hotswap...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    #10 2centsworth, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    I see your problem. Your Intel controller is an ICH8 and does not support AHCI I believe, the secondary controller called a gigabyte sataII controller is the AHCI enabled controller and it has no mention of esata hotswap support.

I suspect you need a third party controller card that supports esata with hot-swap ability to use a removable drive while the OS is running.