How about Debian?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by free1975yuly, Mar 12, 2014.

1. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I instelled Debian 7 x64 because my Windows retail key has blacklisted..:mad:Now,on Debian KDE I am satisfiyed at all.
    There is transparency glass,full-hd support and hd wallpapers....The speed is higher than I had in all Windows8..
    Only I have to do is to accustomed with it..:p:p

2. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    You are smart :p
    Knowing the Linux world ...

Debian is perhaps the most stable Linux distribution.

The big distros (Ubuntu, Mint) were based on Debian initially.

Good luck to you!

3. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    1998 - rh 5.2 (apollo) -> 1999 rh 6.0 (hedwig) -> debian 2002 (potato) -> till date!
    okay i am a debian fanboy. but this doesnt mean i have to embrace ubuntu. :p
    thanks!
    -paul

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use Debian 7.4 Wheezy as Server for to run all my Mailservers, Domains, Web Applications and Websites. It's by far the best Linux Server available!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Fully agreed Debian is the best ...!!!

6. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I can't play DVD video movies.All I try no resultso_O on the last X64 Debian

7. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    #7 duh, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    yes got it! thanks for pointing the mistake.
    for me its easy to read and understand. for not for others. esply new comers. i will fix it right away.
    xD!
    thanks!
    -paul

10. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I am smart enough ...now all works

11. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    glad i could be of some use to you. :) thanks!

thanks!
    -paul

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #12 pisthai, Apr 16, 2014
  13. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    thanks again mate,
    i hope you well understood that i am not the modern man, pretty much old school.
    still uses text mail for most of the communication. this is like a giant leap.

I will edit the post tomorrow. And make it look neat and clean....

thanks for the heads up! good night!

thanks!
    -paul

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #14 pisthai, Apr 17, 2014
    I understand that very well!! From that 'Old School' myself your 'style' isn't a problem for me, just thinking about those who'll have problems to separate and understanding as it comes to programming.

Fact is, using code tags, gives you the ability for to use even long codes/lines without the need to 'break' them or get them breaked in separate lines, which would break the code itself. The written code will keep it's needed structure, ready to be used again.
    If you install and configure a Debian Server as example, and like to install Apache2, PHP5, phpMyAdmin, FCGI, suExec, Pear, mycrypt and needed libraries etc., you could use:

Code:
    apt-get install apache2 apache2.2-common apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils libexpat1 ssl-cert libapache2-mod-php5 php5 php5-common php5-gd php5-mysql php5-imap phpmyadmin php5-cli php5-cgi libapache2-mod-fcgid apache2-suexec php-pear php-auth php5-mcrypt mcrypt php5-imagick imagemagick libapache2-mod-suphp libruby libapache2-mod-ruby libapache2-mod-python php5-curl php5-intl php5-memcache php5-memcached php5-ming php5-ps php5-pspell php5-recode php5-snmp php5-sqlite php5-tidy php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl memcached
    This is just one example and contains a 1 line command code, displayed in 3 lines but if copy and paste to an text editor, it's just 1 line.

Only important thing you'll need to know in any Forum, what BBCode are allowed to use because that could differs quite a lot, it's depend on each forum what's allowed.

Personally I like the use of BBCode a lot and used in the right direction, it eases the writing and make the outcome easy to understand.

15. Dr.Bender

Dr.Bender MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2014
    Have you tried using VLC media player?

16. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    i must admit one thing, my skills with respect to phpbb usage is almost close to 0. why? here is why...
    after the last post i changed my email address, since the last one is no longer valid. and since then, i was
    placed in the non-activated user category.
    I couldnt post a single character. Now after reactivating my account i am able to post again.
    so i must disagree with you on one thing. If you are a CLI user? GUI becomes a mess, and as for commands?
    *nix users like you can me can sniff out the gist, but i think i need to visit the forum often and sharpen my
    forum skills. and all the suggestions by you are noted. and its only 2-3 hours back my account was reactivated.
    phew.......... relief.

and that LAMP install is extremely elegantly explained. I wish i had skills like you with respect to forum posting.
    I need to learn a few things from you. xD!
    it would take me 2-3 lines of explaination, but you did type the code in a simple user readable fashion. and like
    i said. i am far from phpbb code familiarity. not a forum friendly chap i must be. and for sure i will learn a few
    things here.
    thanks mate!
    thanks
    -paul

17. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    #17 revertex, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    One thing that debian lacks is user friendliness.

Their documentation is far from easy to find and understand, not mention that it's no straightforward as it should be.

Small things like clear instructions that you should add extra and unofficial repos for a more enjoyable experience isn't necessary easy to find.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a debian fanboy, debian still my favorite distro.

No doubt that's the reason why ubuntu and other debian derivatives are so popular, even a chimp can install ubuntu and start doing almost everything in no time in it's new bloated OS.
    The point where ubuntu fails is one of debian strongest points, stability.

Ububuntu, don't known why, suffer the same problem that old rpm based distros was, after some time of use, with updates, installation and removal of programs, it's broken beyond repair.

Never have a single problem that hasn't easy to repair all these years running Sid.

First time I've tried debian, a long ago, I've gave up in favor of a easier distro, namely gentoo.
    I'm not kidding, as hard as it look, whith a pretty good documentation and awesome support forum even a noob can install and configure it.
    The only downside was the endlessly compiling times, at least with my ancient hardware.

18. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #18 Skaendo, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014