How can I boot directly to desktop & more...??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rickkins, Jun 5, 2012.

1. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    we are talking bout RP, with a scf file launched as sched task DO NOT WORK anymore... f**k MS!!
    A workaround is instead that file, use a shortcut to explorer.exe, just after logon it appears immediately windows explorer with just after desktop, no metro start screen crap at all, neither for a little while!!!!!!
    Better explorer than Metro UI!!!

Classic shell is buggy at auto launch once in ten, you have to reboot, neither manually will be executed!
    RP bug(or prevention) or class shell bug?

Once again METRO :puke:

sorry for that!

2. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    classic shell works for me with no problem.

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Yep, classic shell works rock stable for me too. I've had flaky starts with other tools but not classic shell.

4. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2007
    the scf file launched as a scheduled task works fine for me on all my 3 pc's.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Just wanted to add my +1 that Classic Shell hasn't failed to start for me yet. I have a shortcut to it in my Start Menu's Startup folder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. zfeet

zfeet MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
    So what does HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon have on Windows 8? I haven't one installed at the moment so I cannot check.

With Windows 8 Embedded it is possible to boot to cmd or explorer.exe so that might be worth investigating.

7. Dave-UK

Dave-UK MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2011
    No I haven't disabled the Classic Shell Service.

8. Dave-UK

Apr 24, 2011
    Explorer.exe is the Winlogon command.

9. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Of course it's possible to boot to cmd.exe, it's just not well suited as a shell for most users. :p
    Even Embedded Standard 8 comes with the start screen if you include the Explorer shell and boots straight to it, and it doesn't look like they're going to make it available as a separate component.

10. DM-moinmoin

DM-moinmoin MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Now i found a way for a "normal user account" to boot to the desktop.

dm-moinmoin.deviantart.com/art/boot-directly-to-desktop-windows-8-307078343

11. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    moinmoin, I just tried the exe you've linked. It does indeed boot to the desktop but there're many downsides.

1) The metro screen shows for a longish period before switching to desktop (10 seconds on my core 2 duo).

2) After the dsektop appears, strange things happen. When I placed the exe in startup, my office 2003 wants to reconfigure itself on boot and then a scanning dialog appears. Then, to test, I removed the exe from startup and created a task for it. This time again the office installer wanted to configure plus there was aprompt for a name for a self signed certificate.

Whats going on man?

12. DM-moinmoin

DM-moinmoin MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2012
    :confused: I don't know. The *.exe opens only the seach menu and open your desktop-tile. Neither more nor less.

13. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    I repaired the office install. Now without fail an excel workbook opens every time I boot to desktop. :D

14. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #34 SuperBubble, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    If you're that desperate to get rid of the Metrofied start menu, I personally would do this:

1) Download (and install) Classic Shell.
    2) Run Registry Editor (right-click and Run As Administrator!)

Bonus ignorance of how UAC works: Don't forget to elevate! Something I've noticed people forgetting while reading a lot of threads here - and then their edits don't do anything because of UAC has virtualised their registry. If you're going to poke around in HKLM, always, ALWAYS elevate REGEDIT.EXE.

3) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
    4) Change the Shell value (and if it doesn't exist, create it of type REG_SZ) to the full path and filename to Classic Shell's EXPLORER.EXE. Make sure the path is absolutely correct, or Windows won't let you log in upon reboot.
    5) Winlogon, if I recall correctly, caches the Shell value, so a full reboot may be required to take effect.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Dave-UK

Apr 24, 2011
    Have you actually done this?
    There is no Classic Shell explorer.exe in my Classic Shell folder, (version 3.5.0).

16. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Nope. I don't use Classic Shell. I've rather liked the built in shells since Windows 2000, and only in very special circumstances have I changed the Shell value (usually to CMD.EXE :)).

Hmm, I thought Classic Shell was, you know, a shell (and for simplicity, would have supplied a (stub?) EXPLORER.EXE). What *.EXE files are in your install folder?

I hope Classic Shell isn't just a substitute Start Menu. In which case, this may well be pointless. :(

17. Dave-UK

Apr 24, 2011
    It is a substitute start menu, with an added toolbar for Windows explorer.
    There is no Classic explorer exe file, only a dll.

18. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I feared that. Oh well. As I said, I assumed something called a shell was actually a shell. :p

19. cridder

cridder MDL Novice

May 10, 2009
    Just out of curiosity, didn't anyone try to copy the explorer.exe from win7 to win8 and just run that one? Else I'll give it a go in VM ^^ (it sounds just wrong and prob. full of crashes and blue screens to expect.. but dunno :))

20. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #40 SOCRATE_MMXII, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012