How can I boot directly to desktop & more...??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rickkins, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well on Windows 8 CP there was a way to boot directly to the desktop. You had to prepare a script in Notepad and then run Task manager to create the task. But that was complicated and difficult and I don't know how to use Task Manager to create tasks.

So the easiest way is to just install Classic Shell,which gives you the start button and Windows 7 start menu and boots to the desktop.

Classic Shell is the first start menu software to enable boot to the desktop and other start menu software's like Start Menu 7 and Vi Start may follow.

But when was using Start Menu 7 before Classic Shell was updated to support Windows 8 CP. You just pressed the Windows key to get to the desktop in Start Menu 7.

Taking away the option to disable the Metro theme has had not effect on users like me who want the Windows 7 start menu. As most people have installed third party start menu software to get back the start button and Windows 7 start menu.

There are several start menu software's that work on Windows 8. but the best one is Classic Shell as it is more customisable than most start menu software. And it is free to use. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    @Andrea.
    Where exactly is the setting for Classic Menu 3.5.1 to boot directly to desktop? Im familiar with the program, but even with the newest version using it under Win8 results in booting to metro, and then having to click Desktop. I can't find the setting you speak of for the life of me.

3. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Halikus,when you install or upgrade Classic Shell to the latest version,the setting"skip Metro start screen" should be checked by default.Look in settings, and if it is not ticked just tick this setting yourself. And then you should boot straight to the desktop on every start up and log in. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    +1 Andrea. Specifically, the setting is the very first one on the "General Behavior" tab. It was selected by default for me when I installed it, but I didn't have it installed before, just ran it quasi-portable style from the Startup folder.

5. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #65 Andrea Borman, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  6. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks, i found it. I feel dumb though, i had 3.5.0 on my Win8 and 3.5.1 on Win7 and i was looking at the Win7 version settings. The option to disable Metro isn't displayed in the settings when installed on Win7 (duh).

7. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well Classic Shell has an automatic updater that reminds you when a new version is available. So you should have got a notification from Classic Shell updater about the new version.

In Classic Shell 3.5.0, that did not boot straight to the desktop but 3.5.1 does. And also in Classic Shell 3.5.1, the ability to change the start button in Windows 7 has been added to Classic Shell. So in 3.5.1,you can now change the start button on Windows 7. Classic Shell has it's own start buttons and you can create your own custom button using a bitmap image.

Here is a picture of Classic Shell on my Windows 7 where I have changed the start button with Classic Shell to the Windows XP start button. I got my Windows XP start buttons from Devant Art. Andrea Borman.

Windows XP start button on Windows 7..JPG

8. KTr1sk

KTr1sk MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Is this working on windows 8 enterprise N rtm
    ww.howtogeek.com/108349/how-to-boot-to-the-desktop-skip-metro-in-windows-8/

when i start the windows I must wroite my password to pass into windows/start and can I use without password, i have now a pass to log into windows, and i dont wont anymore, help

9. KTr1sk

KTr1sk MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2010
    I found it, thanks to all of you

for autologin
    ww.datafilehost.com/download-3d34e1a6.html

and for autologin into desktop
    ww.techfeb.com/2012/07/get-desktop-right-after-windows-8-booting-skip-the-metro-screen

10. UnknownRE

UnknownRE MDL Junior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    See my signature for the answer to boot directly to desktop