How can I remove COA sticker to new case?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by MarkJohnson, Sep 2, 2010.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    My nephew bought a new case for his old ugly Dell and wants to have the COA sticker on it so he'll be legal.

He is very overly paranoid he is going to get busted for not having it on the case and I don't want to tell him it's OK to cheat the system. He even has money saved up to actually buy a new copy. lol

anyway, if anyone knows how to safely remove the COA sticker I'd be forever grateful. and so would my nephew.
    -=Mark=-

2. Apokrif

Apokrif MDL Addicted

Dec 7, 2008
    Hair dryer?

3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I would say hair dryer too. Also a sharp, slender knife to get under the sticker to gently lift it off. Keep the pressure very even when you pull it off, otherwise it may tear or half tear. I say half tear, not sure of the correct term. You know, where you pull a label off something and the glue and a bit of the paper remains on, and you strip the surface of the label off?!

Maybe dipping the knife in a bit of methylated spirits (aka metho, which acts as a solvent for the sticker glue), in the process of heat, dip, pull slightly with knife underneath, thumb on top holding the sticker against the blade, then heat again. Not sure how sticky those stickers can be, but this method should help with really sticky labels. Just make sure there is enough metho on the knife that when placed behind the sticker it comes into contact with the glue. It won't be much, but will help. It will take many steps. Other methods may work too, but this way reduces the risk of stuffing up the sticker.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But legally it is NOT transferable

So you will have illegal machine with COA sticker, same as having one without it

sebus

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Not worth the trouble and not in legal unless you use the same mainboard and such. Technically.

I think this is a non-issue, this legality worry..Last I knew there was not a COA sticker police out there, they rub off and tear most of the time anyhow..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...