How can I (typical home user) purchase LTSB? How difficult would it be? Is it affordable?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by adabo, Jul 20, 2017.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    You're not there yet
    back_to_the_future.jpg

2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    also he can wait til 2019 only kidding :sleep2::schmorch:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Yeah i'm also using Windows 10 LTSB since it was leaked. It's really the only version of Windows 10 i can use.
    I absolutely hate metro apps, it's just awful and useless. It's just a Internet Explorer frame disguised as a standalone app. I don't even know why they call it "modern"..
    LTSB is save to use, it gets all the updates and programs just runs fine on it. It's basicially Windows 10 without the mobile stuff. I'd love to get a valid license but for now i have to stick with kms.

4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Pro edited with MSMG is way leaner than stock LTSB because stock LTSB has A LOT of identical packages that regular Pro does. The only traces for version 1607 14393 are 2 tiny folders - ParentalControls and BioEnrollment. The actual features and packages were removed and only non-functional folders less than 3mb in size remained. The final image size of stock LTSB is greater than the final size of Pro version edited with MSMG Toolkit. Again, LTSB is also bloated, even though it has no Store or Cortana. You should try MSMG Toolkit on LTSB to see just how much bloat it has that MSMG can remove.

If you really want something truly lean, I suggest the new NTLite 1.4 beta. I tested the crap out of the alpha version and the author managed what he originally thought was not possible - butcher the life out of the image by removing epic amount of features, BUT preserving DISM Component Store (ScanHealth passes), File Integrity (SFC ScanNow), and most importantly - ability to update OS normally and of course functionality. I suggest you stick to just one tool.

My apologies for going off-topic...

5. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    15063 Pro is the way forward.
    Microsoft has won the telemetry battle. They get all the data they want. In fact, I have gone to the extent of installing 2 stereo mics so that they can analyze my snoring patterns. I am also in the process of installing 1 extra Intel NUC PC. It will have 3 web cameras.
    I want to send them as much data as possible. This will really help them to design better products and our future will be spectacular. I am doing my part. You do it too!

If you can't beat them, join them!

6. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    What's the point of comparing these two? Feels illogical. Compare Stock images to other stock images and edited images to other edited images.
    If user can edit the image with MSMG, your comparison is pointless. Why wouldn't the user just edit the LTSB image then.

So the real comparison should be "The difference between Pro edited with MSMG Vs. LTSB edited with MSMG"

7. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    **EDIT**

This can be deleted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    The point is that legit LTSB purchase will cost him waaaaay more than editing a legit Pro version to be nearly identical to LTSB in leanness, but at fraction of the cost...

10. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    In short: LTSB is nowhere near what a few people in this thread have acted it as - and that is an OS exclusive for a corporate environment. On the contrary, I run LTSB on one of my ThinkPad T470s' specifically for a company I'm often contracted out to for global security reasons. With the ability to actually pause full processes (not just services, but full processes), its lower resource requirements and the like, even datamining tens of thousands of fairly large documents while multitasking between video editing, podcast streaming and recording progress via video conferencing all works seamlessly and has never given me any issues. Aside from LTSB's pickiness with series 10 NVIDIA GPUs, it's a very solid OS for home if you're comfortable with not getting updates at any regular interval.

And gaming performance on LTSB is negligible compared to the more optimized, and regularly updated, versions of Windows 10. It does not provide a clear drop in gaming experience like Windows Server does, despite both having almost identical startup process hardware consumption in fresh OEM installations.

11. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    This debate doesn't concern the cost of the product. That can be discussed elsewhere. But for this research, it's completely irrelevant.

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ GodHand I disagree when you refer that LTSB(LTSC) is negligible when comparing with another versions of Windows 10 and also sorry but I think that you don't understand nothing about gaming experience because maybe you already very occuped with your BIG job everyday ;)

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Although, the OP asked about the affordability ;)

14. akq

akq MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2015
    Ah crap i'm the one in wrong topic. Sorry guys :D never mind me.

Thanks.

15. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    #56 GodHand, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Your poor grammar aside, get back to me when you are going to do more than take stabs in the dark hoping you hit something. And when you do, at least make your beta-insults legible.

16. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    The guy speaks Portuguese, he's not a native English speaker. He's actually doing great for someone from that part of the world.
    I'm Dutch myself and on the whole board we have a number of nationalities, some of those barely able to put something online in readable English.
    To humiliate someone because of his grammar is rather lame, in my opinion.
    And he actually has a point, at least the first part of his comment.

Cheers.

17. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    #58 GodHand, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Meanwhile, assigning a lower sense of responsibility to someone who does not speak English - and using their ethnicity to excuse their ignorance on a subject - displays cultural bigotry.

Cheers.

18. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Perhaps stay on topic helps everybody !

ps there is an pm function on this forum :p

Cheers ;)

19. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016

Microsoft is never going to publicly offer Entetprise LTSB. That would draw awareness of the public that it actually EXISTS.

I'll be devil's advocate: nobody wants to pay for software anymore. So MS has to look at alternative sources of revenue.

How many people bought and payed for win7 Ultimate? I've only ever seen clandestine installations. LTSB would likely cost at least €200. No just let sleeping dogs lie: Enterprise LTSB will remain a niche toy for the initiated.