How can i use my windows 7 OEM HP laptop key with a normal copy of win 7??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by luke, Jan 27, 2010.

1. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If I were you, since youre laptop was deliverd from hp with win 7 you have slic 2.1 in bios. Do a fresh install with your win 7 x64 dvd, than download and install the digital XrML cert. It doesnt matter wich manufacturers cert you use. Then install the key. And youre activated forever. Then you get rid of all that bulls**tt software wich came with all oem machines like HP, Aser, Dell etc.... If you do it in this way you will end up with a clean install of win 7.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No you have already screwed it up on HP machines you only have one chance to do recovery cd/dvd's and most don't even come with a install cd/dvd unlike say Dells but in saying that i remeber reading just the other day how to resat the HP recovery file you will need to search for that i can remember the thread. And no you have no chance of starting your software installation on x64 because you have reinstalled windows and the HP files aint there any more.

3. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    #23 luke, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    (OP)
    I only formatted the windows partition i kept the recover partition and i made the recovery cd at the start i just called up and activated it works fine now

4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #24 NoJuan999, Jan 30, 2010
    @ Luke,
    If you still have the recovery partition and the Recovery DVD's why not just use them, if you want the PC back to it's original state ???

@ Phazor,
    While your first post was on target (even if a bit off topic for this thread),
    Your second post was as rude as any previous comment in this thread.
    You completely hi-jacked this thread with that off-topic diatribe.
    While I agree with what you wrote, You should have started your own thread to write it.

It offered the OP No help at all.

@ david toska,
    The Certificate Must Match the SLIC in BIOS or it will not work for Activ*tion.

5. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    i did use them i tried 2 times and both used the key i got from here and not my key for some reason, and i tried use the HP Cert with my key that i got off this site but it didn't work, i called up seemed to do the trick.

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #26 timesurfer, Jan 30, 2010
    I'm just curious to the experts here? If he has the slic 2.1 and even though it was regarding his x86 then when he got his x64 cound't he just use opa tool to install cert and key or does the slic have an individual signature as to what version?
    He said it was home both x86 and x64. Shouldn't the OEM key's work parallel for home?

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    @NoJuan

You accuse me of being rude and hijacking the thread, (none of which was my intention, which is why i closed with an apology), yet you have no problem using this thread in the very same way to tell me what you think i should know.

Doesnt that make you guilty of the same things? Or is it only wrong when i do it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #28 NoJuan999, Jan 30, 2010
    This is not personal to me, I just call it like I see it.

I didn't accuse you of being rude.
    I stated it as fact, it was rude to hi-jack the OP's thread.

And No, I feel no gulit in stating that fact as an aside to my modestly sized reply to the OP.
    I actually attempted to address the problem the OP was having.
    You did not address the problem at all and you took almost an entire page of this thread to state your opinion.
    I saw this thread due to the OP having to open a new thread to attempt to actually get some help.

Also he has since resolved the issue by calling Mand getting support, so I don't feel bad replying to you now.

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I see.

Nice talking to you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Only 2 things I can think of:-

1. it isn't a SLP OEM key but an OEM "retail" online activation key
    2. the version he installed didn't match the key

Otherwise his posts make no sense to me at all - no insult intended. We all know by now that SLIC 2.1 + Cert + appropriate SLP key = activation every time :p