How difficult / dangerous is to modify the bios ?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by whitewolf573, Mar 25, 2010.

1. whitewolf573

whitewolf573 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    I have changed the motherboard of my pc , and i have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

The motherboard is a Asus P5E3 PRO.

I usually use linux , and i work with computers, but i haven't upgraded too many bios (3 or 4 ) and i am not used to it , nor modify them.

But looking for ways of activate the windows , one very interesting is this , because as i understand , with a modified bios , you can have activated windows forever , forgetting wat,and loaders and like no ?

Because , although loaders work very well , are not so good as bios modification no ?

so , how difficult / dangerous is to modify the bios ?

As i have 29 days to activate windows , i have time to read and see what do ...

2. mightyEx

mightyEx MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2008
    Basicaly you should update a BIOS in DOS mode. Chances are greater to brick your BIOS if you update in a running Windows system (wheter you update a normal or modded BIOS). A well done BIOS mod can work very well but it's possible to brick the BIOS if the mod corrupts the flash file. There are possibilities to recover a corrupted BIOS. A well done BIOS mod should pass WAT even in the future.

3. 7ekn00

7ekn00 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Have to decide on either:
    - Mod BIOS yourself, or find BIOS already modded
    - If finding, find or request and download BIOS for your board
    - If modding, find BIOS type, download the appropriate mod tool and new version of BIOS
    - Use modding tool to update either current BIOS or BIOS update from manufacturer (select the SLIC type to insert)
    - Once you have mod BIOS (either made or downloaded), read manufacturer site on how to update BIOS
    - Update BIOS as per manufacturer site
    - If flash failed, follow BIOS recovery steps (the biggest tip I can give you is if you brick it, strip back all peripherals to just CPU+RAM+floppy and recover that way)
    - Once up and going, you can check for SLIC with BIOSToolkit
    - Once SLIC verified, insert appropriate key + cert into OS (best done with something like DAZ loader "advanced" section)

73l{|\|o0

4. whitewolf573

whitewolf573 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    #4 whitewolf573, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    (OP)
    thanks :). Finaly i did a request in the mod bios request subforum :),i think someone that have more experience , have more posibilities to do the things well compared to me that i don't now much about it , although i know there are some topics about it.

I am going to read the forum a bit too :), but a mod made by other more experienced people , gives me some serenity, because modify the bios scares me a bit , i don't want to have a briked mobo :(. But i suppose that if things are done well risks are quite lower :)

Update a normal bios is risky , but i have done all without problems , so if you read and do the things well , shouldn't be any problem , i hope. I just bought my mobo :)