How do British people understand British English?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by mdlgaofei, Mar 14, 2016.

1. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Some Chinese people use VPN to go to some blocked websites. Some VPN can "智能分流".It means the vpn know which websites are in China and which websites are in foreign. If a user connected a vpn and want to go to a website which is in China , the messages don't go through the vpn.

How to translate "智能分流" into English? What's the translation?

2. TheKawaiiPug

TheKawaiiPug MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2016
    I don't really understand what you mean.
    Also the UK has loads of different diversity and dialect so theres no standard way to speak English here.

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Personally, I would prefer Chsh! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
  5. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Example: I don't do it.

Can people say 'not' before say 'do' 'does' or others? Such as 'I not do it'.

Because I remmember that in some situations, speak an adverb before speak a verb. One translator and some websites says that 'not' is an adverb

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    What do you think about the word 's**tizen' and required things?

8. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Why do you call America government as 'big brother? Why do you call ISP as 'big friend'?

9. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #149 ofernandofilo, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Because of a book: Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984) by George Orwell.

In this book is told the fictional story of a government to control the population changed the own language and self-designation Big Brother.

In the West, when we want to refer to dictatorial governments, tyrannical governments, governments that do not respect the personal freedoms and the right to private property we consider that the government is bad and call it Big Brother.

"Big Friend" is probably just a joke with the previous term. I do not know, I'm just assuming that, based on texts that I imagine you may be reading. So it's probably just a facetious way of saying that even companies sometimes allied with tyrants governments and also they, the companies, have to inspect, monitor and punish their customers.

Freedom is very easy to get lost but very difficult to maintain. And routinely people choose democratically to reduce their own freedom in the name of any security provided by the State.

About the book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

* I'm not american or british. I'm brazilian, I speak portuguese and read a little of english, but I love the freedom that the american patriarchs, the Founding Fathers of the United States, that Milton Friend and Friedrich Hayek speech of.

cheers

10. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Bing translator and baidu translator cannot translate the word 'possivelemente'

11. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #151 ofernandofilo, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    I wrote that wrong. Sorry.

In portuguese: possivelmente
    In english: possibly

It was to be written possibly.

I corrected my text. There are high chances to be a lot of wrong writing. My english is very poor and I am also very dependent on automatic translators.

cheers

12. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    #152 melted, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    [​IMG]

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I wonder why fish was chosen for the translating abilities of "Babel Fish"...after all fish can't talk at all.

14. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    :wavetowel2:

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012

That's probably why... :D

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    That would be the joke to make my mother-in-law's day - she is a translator, taking the Mickey of the online translating engines... :D :D :D

17. bloodstone

bloodstone MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2017
    oh god, i have so much trouble understanding movies in british english. i recently watched that fantastical beast movie in english and they were mumbling so hard. not to mention for some reason, british movies seem to put in much louder background noise.

i actually had less trouble reading from the actors lips at times...

18. Awake659

Awake659 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2017
    Not very well haha!

19. misight

misight MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2018
    I've always called the "club" suit of cards "Clovers". I think this is a British English thing.

20. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier, but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
    http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Babel_Fish