How do British people understand British English?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by mdlgaofei, Mar 14, 2016.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Biological Star Trek universal translator, yep... :D :D :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TKnuckles

TKnuckles MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Oi meyt, do you knou wot toyme it is?

3. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    I just saw the movie darkest hour and didn't understand anything they said .

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Change yer 'ead, m8... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lol Limewire

Lol Limewire MDL Novice

Feb 29, 2016
    With Japanese you can write in hiragana\katakana and those are part of the "expressing a sound on paper". Japanese is the best of both worlds. I always thought of Chinese as a pain in the ass for that reason. All kanjis all the time? Argh. A bit and a bit is a saner option imo.

Maybe one day I'll try Chinese. Maybe not. So little time in life, so many pictures of cats to see. I'm glad I learnt English while I was a little brat. Almost as a native language. In fact, gimme a book in English and one in my native language and I'll pick the former every time. Ofc, I almost never spoken it irl, so I probably sound like a dying walrus in a conversation.

Once I tried Japanese, made a good bit of progress, but laziness got the better of me. And I have a couple of nice certificates of German from when I was in high school. Amazingly they have good marks, but I have no memories of it. Must had been too drunk probably, you know how those years go.

Btw, I always choose en-gb, can't beat the British.

6. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #166 tonto11, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Once said to me in Manchester

Ewe saound jist loike th illbillies

...T

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    AHAHAHAAAA!!!! jolly.gif