How do I activate Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RememberTomorrow, Jul 13, 2017.

1. dexterss

dexterss MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2018
    win7 updates also hardware id embeded ?

2. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Your system came with Windows 10 HOME installed.
    Why are you concerned with Windows 7 updates ?
    MS will discontinue W7 security update in less than 2 years.
    The new OS is Windows 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dexterss

dexterss MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2018
    Sure
    Du to the privacy .i dont like when win10 tracks my hardware anywhere if i sell my pc in future etc.and its full apps not needed

I will stay first on win7 for one year.
    But i didnt get it working with uefi
    Win7 pci ssd on kaby lake works only on legacy mode .and have to disable uefi

4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    uefi boot disk is only mandatory if disk size is more than 2TB.There is no hardware id embedded in either win 7 or win 10 updates & if win 10 updates do have it then most likely win 7 will have it too.

5. dexterss

dexterss MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2018
    so why win7 usb wont boot in uefi mode ..even after installing it with legacy mode .when swichting to uefi .says no bootable disk found
    it boots only in legacy

consedering hwid .i read when motherboard changed the license key will not work

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    To boot USB pen in UEFI it must be partitioned as FAT32 else it won't be detected.

MBR (Legacy BIOS) and GPT (UEFI) are totally different layouts and you cannot switch between them on the fly. So installing in MBR and switching to GPT as you tested won't work.

When mainboard is changed, Windows will recognize as a new machine and refuse activation. You can bind an existing activation of Win 10 to a Microsoft Account and transfer the license when the hardware changes trigger deactivation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dexterss

dexterss MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2018
    Thnks save1
    Any chance to setup win7 in uefi mode?
    I tried rufus didnt work
    Its kaby lake board
    I think processor causes problem

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Kaby Lake will only block Windows Updates (can be worked around).

Installing Windows 7 in UEFI Mode only works if the UEFI is Gen2. Forget it on Gen3 UEFI.

Gen2 UEFI still has a CSM (Compatibility Support Module), that, when enabled in UEFI Setup, will provide the necessary BIOS INT10 emulation Windows 7 needs to boot (as it doesn't support GOP).
    Gen3 UEFI lacks the CSM and thus cannot boot Windows 7 in UEFI mode (it will stop at boot logo animation).

9. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    This is true if hdd has mbr style partitions.For gpt+uefi gen3 there should be no issues with booting 64bit win 7,right?

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Spent a s**tload of time trying to make Windows 7 boot on an Asus GL553VE - integrated usb3, working onboard intel gpu. nvidia drivers correctly, unattended setup, used all sorts of internal and external hdds, preinstalled images, but still no joy.
    Setup run just fine, but Windows would BSOD after second restart. I gave up, as it was clearly missing stuff in the BIOS.