How do I get XP to recognize all of my flash drive page file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by conceptualclarity, Jun 24, 2014.

1. conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity MDL Novice

May 26, 2014
    With my previous hard drive I put my page file (swap file) on a flash drive and it definitely made an improvement in performance. My computer shop installed the current hard drive. A few days ago I got messages about low virtual memory. I checked and found they had set it to no page file.

I consulted some articles and then put a 3742 MB page file on my Lexar flash drive, B, on Saturday night. I also kept a 350 MB page file on the C drive, apparently a mistake. Today I started experiencing all sorts of weird problems : error messages from applications and applications disappearing without cause. I checked and saw that XP was only recognizing 350 MB as "Total paging file size for all drives."

I rebooted and changed the C drive setting to "No paging file." The weird problems have not continued. But XP is not recognizing 3742 MB of paging file. It is only showing 2046 MB as "Total paging file size for all drives." How do I change that?

Also one of my sources leads me to believe I can have a full size page file on the C drive as well as my flash drive B. Any reason not to do that?

Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4
    Northwood 0.13um Technology
    RAM
    2.00 GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
    Motherboard
    Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
    Storage
    74.5 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA)
    Free 40.53 GB
    3.67 GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
    119.22 GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
    Optical Drives
    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
    Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Anti-Virus
    Roboscan free

Attached Files:

2. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    No way the flashdrive is faster than the hard disk and windows cannot use a pagefile on a removable drive, change the pagefile settings and put it back on the C:\ drive to stop the low virtual memory errors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    That may be because of using FAT16 on your USB flash drive. FAT16 has a 2 GB limit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Plus it will shorten the life of your flash drive very quickly, using that method.