How Do I Make A Bootable .ISO from Files

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by uffbros, Oct 14, 2013.

1. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Tonight I used a program called Windows Hotfix Downloader to integrate the 3 updates for Win 8.1 with success. However it gave me folders and not an .iso. I was able to make an .iso with Power Iso but it says non bootable image. In the past I know I used a program to do this with XP,Vista,and Win 7. I tried to follow Power Isos instructions to do it but I have no idea what to select when it asks for add boot info and wants a source what to put? I just can't remember what easy program I used in the past to make a bootable iso from files. It's not rufus or yumi...they will make a bootable USB. I was able to manually make a UEFI Bootable USB manually and copying the folders over to the flash but still want a bootable iso for archive. Thanks.

2. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Isorecorder /MTK 2.4.9 does it easily. Even imgburn.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks Jessica...It is version 4.1.7.10 and not what softpedia has of 3.0.0.1. It made me a bootable Win 8.1 iso with the latest 3 updates. Thanks again.

5. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    +1

I always use oscdimg when creating a Windows ISO.

1) It's the "official" way to create a Windows or Office ISO. If you want to replicate a MSFT ISO as close as possible, you must use this.

2) It's command-line, so I can stick it at the end of my batch file. So much faster than messing with a GUI every time, especially since the result of the integration is done automatically via the same batch file.

3) Duplicated files are stored only once. AFAIK, Microsoft's oscdimg (and cdimage from back in the day) is the only ISO image creator that can detect if two or more files are identical, and if so, store only one physical copy of it on the ISO (it will still appear in multiple locations, but only takes up one set of bits--it's like hard-linking, except on an optical disc). This is very useful for saving space.

4) You can create a disc that, just like the official discs, can boot via either BIOS or EFI. Most other tools only let you pick one boot image.

It's the only way to go if you wanna do it right.

6. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Open the original iso with UltraIso or PowerIso, then drag (add) updated install.wim file to "sources" folder replacing the existing one, then save the modified iso as new.