How do i preserve the life of my laptop battery?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by AnnErin, Sep 10, 2012.

1. AnnErin

AnnErin MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    I've been told conflicting information. Do I plug it in whenever possible and only rely on the battery when I have to...OR...Do I treat it like a cel phone, let the battery run out and plug it in only to charge? Both sound reasonable to me. I'm new to my laptop and don't want to ruin the battery by following bad advice.

2. ELiTEFX

ELiTEFX MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    I've had my HP DV7 plugged in since day one 3 years ago. Battery 100% as of right now. The DV7 is an Intel Q9000 Quad Core laptop but in the desktop replacement class. I use it about 6 hours daily when I'm not running my i7 2700K main rig......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    My personal advice to you is to NOT follow the advice posted from TechRepublic. Cycling the battery to 0 will degrade it fast. I had an Asus laptop which lasted for 4 years and the battery degradation was 12%, it has now been passed on to my Dad. The secret is to stay off the battery for as much as possible but when you use it ensure it goes below 50% but never past 10%.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...