how do i save/export an entire oem theme?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jui, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jui

jui MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    hi, i hope i'm posting this in the right section, but i'm stuck and need some help. i have a theme that came pre-installed by hp. the theme also includes a custom background image when you log-on/log-off. i managed to find the background image (was called backgroundDefault). but i cant find the rest of the theme.
    now, i can go to personalize, and slightly change a setting to the theme, 'save theme for sharing' but the problem there is doing that does not include the backgroundDefault image. :( i am trying to save/export/whatever the entire, complete theme including the custom background image

most suggestions i've read say to look in a couple areas.

when i look under \Resources\Themes the oem theme it isnt there.

when i look under %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes it lists one "oem" theme but it is only 2kb in size, so that cant be it... can it? the file size for the background image alone is almost 250kb.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You are doing something wrong... "Save theme for sharing" does include the background, heck it can even include multiple backgrounds, it's exactly saving what you have set.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jui

jui MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    #3 jui, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    (OP)
    take a look at this screenshot and tell me what i was doing wrong?

b/c all i see is one option.

now, the only way i can save some of the theme is if i make some kind of alteration to it. say change transparency for example, and only changing that single aspect. then that one become an unsaved theme. if i right click on the unsaved theme i get the 'save for sharing dialog'

however, the problem with this is that for whatever reason it does not save the backgroundDefault image. it basically just saves the wallpaper.

Attached Files:

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      100 KB
      Views:
  4. jui

jui MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2012
    after lots of research and online help i was able to find all the pieces to the theme. i found out that you can open a .theme file with notepad and see where all the file locations are. with that info i was able to save all the images/bakgrounds etc so i can re-create the theme manually.