How do OEMs like Dell license their machines - all about asset tags

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Yen, Nov 10, 2008.

1. lotto

lotto MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2008
    This tool is great !

try with 2 PE2900. Before doing this, SLIC dump toolkit said "digital signature error" from incomplete SLIC table because these 2 PEs purchased without OS.

My PE2900 still at 2.4.3 bios so I decided to run this tool in 2 ways. First is use asset program first then update bios, second is update the bios first then use asset program.

Both ways work.First way after ran asset program and used SLIC dump toolkit again, it showed that my PE2900 has complete SLIC 2.0 table. Then after update bios.

with new Dell 2.6.1 bios now 2 PEs have SLIC 2.1 table already. I installed 2008 server R2 to both of them and they are able to activate like a charm. :D

2. tengtengvn

tengtengvn MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    How did you get it to work? Any tips?:)

3. abogangster

abogangster MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Google for DMICFG Utility, it works with Mini 110 DMI structures, be sure to change Manufacturer to "Hewlett-Packard", so that if you now have a Compaq logo on your Mini, it could change back to HP Logo again, also be sure to agregate the correct serial number for your Mini.

4. bigdarkmad

bigdarkmad MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    Studio 1737
    BIOS version A7
    svctag NOT WORK.
    ERROR: Unable to get SMBIOS GPNV Information.
    Dell Reset Pass - frozen

5. plakey

plakey MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009
    Just worked a treat for me on a PE1900 purchased with no OS.

Just used asset PASS:12/31 and bingo the SLIC 2.1 table appeared.

Fantastic! :)

6. kittu8_in2002

kittu8_in2002 MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2009
    hey dont mind but i have a dell vostro 1014.. and i have installed WIN7 ultimate in it..will it work there too...i bought the laptop this 4thJAN....
    plz suggest

7. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I just downloaded latest bios from dell web sites, flash....then was slic 2.1 included in this. I also have E6400.

8. Ann Ominous

Ann Ominous MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2010
    Vostro 1320 with Windows 7 COA but failing SLIC activation

I have three Vostro 1320 laptops. One came with Windows 7 downgraded to XP. Attempting to reinstall Windows 7 using the Dell OEM CD fails exactly as if it was purchased as an 'N' version with a hidden SLIC, even though it has a valid Windows 7 COA.

asset.com and svctag.exe fail to read NVRAM.
    Dell BIOS reset ISO similarily hangs when you try to change the service tag (though it can read it).

So I have one Vostro 1320 that autoactivates Windows 7, and two that do not, though all appear to have SLIC 2.1, according to SLIC Toolkit 3.2.

My preference would be to copy verbatim working BIOS to non-working machine. Is this feasible? Or will I be blocked by NVRAM settings anyway?
    Alternately, any ideas for how to 'unhide' SLIC?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Have you checked the COA key in any of the PID checkers to se if it is OEM SLP key or retail.

10. jhselti

jhselti MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    i am new at this and i am trying to do the bios on my inspiron 1525 with the A17 bios. i have tryed to do the modded bios but it doesnt seem to work everest and rwrite everything dont tell me anything everestreports that the slic version is unknown and rewrite everything the slic tab numbers dont look like what it should be from pics and it shipped with vista but i want to use windows 7 i have the dell disk but it will not activate on install can some one please help.

11. Setternixe

Setternixe MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2009
    Hello,
    I also have a problem with Dell Latitude E5500. The latest Bios A15 does have a slic table inside. But I think, some assset tags canĀ“t update the hole Bios. After flashing with the new Bios, Dump-SlicTool V3.2 gets an error (slic table not found) Does anybody now, how Ican get the Slic table unhidden?
    Setternixe

12. Wonder.Wonder.Wonder

Jun 2, 2010
  13. bh12

bh12 MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    Just did this and the 2.0.9 asset.exe from the original link did the trick. I did the asset PASS:12/31 and rebooted. The system came up saying it's entering some special BIOS repogramming mode and that it would be cleared on the next reboot. So i restarted again and the full SLIC table was available to me on my Dell T310. Did not have to press alt+F or even reset the service tag. Windows 2008 R2 Standard activated right away off of a Dell original OEM dvd.
    Awsome guys, you rock!! Thanks to the original poster as well!

14. Veovis

Veovis MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    same thing as bh12 with a poweredge r210, win2008r2 enterprise media from msdn. I take the certificate and the oem key here.

15. prd3000

prd3000 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    Dell PowerEdge T110 - Unable to reset bios

I am attempting to reset the bios on a Dell PowerEdge T110.

I've tried:
    Asset pass:12/31
    Asset pass:12/34
    Asset pass:1234

I have not gotten the message about drives missing, or the prompt to hit crtl+f to reset in manufacturer mode.

I have also tried changing the service tag to a new value, then changing it back to it's original.

Has anyone had any luck doing this on a T110, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

16. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Did you type pass in UPPERCASE? I think it makes a difference, but I've never tried it in lowercase.