How do OEMs like Dell license their machines - all about asset tags

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Yen, Nov 10, 2008.

1. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ shakeyplace, yes dell do supply ASSET program with there machines mines is on the drivers/diagnostic disk

3. Guest

Guest MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    I've just "fixed" my Dell R210 server with this :)
    I used asset PASS:12/31
    After the reboot I did not get the "Alt + F" question, but (in my case) the Windows 7 ultimate with the Dell certificate and Dell ultimate key activated with no problem.

I'm now going to install Windows 2008 on it as this is a propper server OS.

Thank you

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    NO, it is NOT, it was a stop gap between 2003 R & 2008 R2, so I would recommend using later

sebus

5. Jazzy_J

Jazzy_J MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2010
    This is AWESOME!!! Works *perfectly* on a Dell PowerEdge T310 (October2010-manufacture)

6. cody

cody MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    Hi Jazzy,

Could you tell me which BIOS version are you using? I just updated mine to 1.4.1. I don't know if this one still be able to use this method.
    by the way, do you have the fan noise issue? it spin so fast even it's in 25 degrees.

Thanks

7. ctsonhcm

ctsonhcm MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2010
    Help me! Dell N5010 Free DOS

I can't run svctag. It's say that ERROR: Unable to get SMBIOS GPNV Information.
    I run asset PASS:12/31, it ok. In BIOS Asset : 12/31 but I can't active my windows

8. ctsonhcm

ctsonhcm MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2010
    Thanks potpotjeng, I'm follow you advice and this tool work OK. Affter burn a boot CD, restart using the boot CD, it warning that you are about to change the service tag. Answer with yes and it will ask for Service tag. I used the my Service Tag and it confirm Service tag again. After that it warning that you are about to change the Asset number, answer with yes and that all. After reboot, on windows run slic dump tool kit to check slic and succesfully have slic 2.1 and windows automatic activate.

9. biere666

biere666 MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2010
    I successfully enable the slic 2.1 on two brand new Dell PowerEgde R410 server and auto activated Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise on both server:

Here is the things i did:

I am a french writing man, so my english maybe poor...

1- I installed Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise OEM auto activated made by me:
    ( Start on a untouched OEM Windows 2008 R2 iso added $OEM$ surdir containing dell cert and oobe and slp scripts in the iso sources dir and moded ei.cfg file)
    The OS install work fine but no auto activation.

2- i Install Everest 5.5 to look at the SLIC in the bios: I saw a Dell Slic but the version was unknown

3- I use this file: Dell_service_tag_editor.nrg
    ( posted on the 3428-Windows-2008-Server-on-Dell-PE-2950 on this forum )
    For an unknown reason Dell_service_tag_editor.nrg was not bootable, so i open in UltraIso and make it bootable.
    Then i burn it to blank cd. It is like a bootable floppy but on a bootable cd

4- I make my Dell PowerEgde R410 server boot on the bootable cd i burned

5- When booted i only typed: asset PASS:12/31 and answer yes at the confirmation question, i did CTRL + ALT +DEL to restart the server

6- At reboot the server displayed that the bios was in "Manufactuer Mode" a few times, but i did not get the "Alt + F" question.

7- Windows 2008 R2 Server Enterprise booted with no problem and it got the activated status

8- A use Everest 5.5 to look in my bios at my DELL SLIC version and it was now 2.1

9- I did the microsoft genuine test and it show me that my windows is genuine.

10- I rebooted the server a second time: Dell SLIC 2.1, activated status, genuine status and i did all the micorosft update. reboot an other time

11- All was fine: Dell SLIC 2.1, activated status, genuine status, and all updated.

12- To be sure that it was not the beginner luck i did the same on my second R410 server, all worked ok, the second server is Dell SLIC 2.1, activated status, genuine status, and all updated.

All credits go to the great people on My Digital Life forum.

Thank you all of you for your awesome help you give me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ritchie_h

ritchie_h MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2010
    hey biere666

can you pm me a zip of the $OEM$ directory and moded ei.cfg file so i can include it into windows 2008 r2 dvd.

or how you went about doing it.

anyhelp would be much appreciated. I have a dell PE T110 server i want to try it out on.

Regards
    ritchie

btw great steps ...

11. ljcomp

ljcomp MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    I used asset PASS:12/31 on a new dell pe t110 a couple days ago.
    After the reboot I did not get the "Alt + F" question, but sbs 2008 with the Dell certificate and Dell OEM key activated with no problem.

LJ

12. nauman143

nauman143 MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2010
    great help
    thnx

13. chadvonnau

chadvonnau MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    #174 chadvonnau, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    @biere666 Thanks. I followed your directions on my own R410's and now my KMS licenses are working.

The one sticky bit was making that Dell_service_tag_editor.nrg file bootable. MagicISO worked, but it took me a while to figure out that I had to use the BOOTIMG.BIN file from the .nrg as the "bootable image file". Once I got that figured out, everything else was smooth. I saved my bootable ISO and I'm including it here to save everyone else the trouble. Enjoy!

Code:
    files.eyeburn.info/software/dell-svc-tag-editor-bootable.iso
    (it won't let me paste a link, so just copy that to your address bar.)

14. Vipeg

Vipeg MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Dell 500 Laptop SLIC successfully "opened" with asset PASS:12/31
    Thanx guys!!!

15. korax777

korax777 MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2011
    optiplex 780 n-series: not supported?

hello

I have mistyped pass 12/31 in the asset tag and now I cannot change it no more. How can I erase the asset tag.

The DellBIOSreset bootdisk does not work.

If I type asset or svctag.exe I get this message:

The system is not supported by this utility.

Is there a more recent dellbiosreset boot disk which supports optiplex 780?

kind regards

16. Vipeg

Vipeg MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Method works fine for Inspiron N5010.
    Asset tag used : PASS:12/31

17. yohannes

yohannes MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2011
    Many Thanks !!

18. brokedown

brokedown MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    I just got a Dell T110 (yesterday), and "asset PASS:12/31" worked (slic toolkit reports 2.1). However, I have the eval version of Windows Server 2008 R2, directly from M$ installed, and it won't activate... should I be using an OEM install? Also, I used OPATOOL 0.7 to add the certificate, but it fails when trying to add a key (I assume because they are WIN7 keys). I've tried a handful of keys. Thanks.

I am currently downloading "7601.17514.101119-1850_x64fre_server_en-us_VL-GRMSXVOL_EN_DVD.iso" from 'not m$', I will completely reinstall using this and hope it works. Since I ran the 'asset' method, will I still need to add a cert/key?

UPDATE: All is well. I found the correct key(s) I needed to activate.
    1: asset PASS:12/31
    2: add certificate (I used opatool for the cert)
    3: entered appropriate key

19. ShriEkeR

ShriEkeR MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2008
    Method works fine for Dell PowerEdge R310.
    Asset tag used : PASS:12/31

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...