How do you really feel about Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JBenal, Nov 22, 2012.

?

How do you really feel about Windows 8?

1. I'm using it and I love it

70 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. I'm going with it because it's the latest version of Windows

31 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Tried it and went back to Windows 7

34 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Not going to do it. I'll wait for Windows 9

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. SilverCircle

SilverCircle MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2012
    Sure, because forcing a touch UI on a conventionally (= mouse, keyboard) operated computer is an eternally silly idea. The usage patterns are just way too different and there are *many* scenarios for which touch operated systems will never succeed. Can anyone imagine doing software development or other creative work on a touch UI? Or playing a shooter or MMO game without a keyboard and a mouse?

I can't, no matter how advanced the UI would be and I do not belong to the group of users who cannot accept changes and are stuck in the stone age. Changes and new things are very welcome *if* they are well implemented and thought out, something that is clearly not the case with this approach of mixing touch- and conventionally operated UIs. The approach is doomed to fail and I'm pretty sure MS will re-think it. I'm not against Metro btw. as it's basically not so bad for the kind of device it has been designed for. Conventional desktop and notebook computers do not belong into that category though.

Conventional UIs are here to stay for a long time and if MS doesn't realize this, they're gonna lose that market.

Touch UIs are fine for the general content-consumption oriented mainstream user and this is exactly the type of user who doesn't actually need a full PC or notebook. They want it simple and easy going and that's what they get with Metro. For advanced or professional users, Metro is way too limiting and not designed for productivity.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Microsoft does realize that the desktop UI is here to stay, why do you think they gone with a Hybrid OS? They market Windows 8 as Work & Play, they are intending to push this further. Windows 8+ is a long term plan, heck if you go out and try to buy hardware that really Utilizes Windows 8 you will be dissapointed, most of the real "Windows 8" devices aren't even sold yet, which is a disaster and makes it obvious that Windows 8 simply can not win over the Consumer yet...
    Windows 8 and future versions will make a lot more sense with future Devices and implementations, but right now? Windows 8 is not where Microsoft would like it to be on a hardware base yet, heck it's actually to early for something like W8 if you look at available/coming hardware, they are not as good as something like W8 would like them to be. You either get so-so device with ARM, or a so-so device with x86 right now, it might take until Windows 9 till the hardware is as good as wanted, which won't make Windows 8 look good in sales.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. instajoe77

instajoe77 MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    #43 instajoe77, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    After reading this thread and others and watching several youtube videos, I am going to seriously cool down about replacing Win 7 on my main machine. I know the first thing I'll do is to try and get my desktop and start button back, which can only be accomplished in a limited way in Windows 8. The Metro screen is 95% full of icons (tiles) I'd never use. I'm the techie type and want to be able to get quickly to the guts of my computer - I'll have a fit if I can't be in constant touch with these. Also having to do extra clicks and scrolls in order to switch between apps is a big turn down.

I totally abhor that tablet experience on my desktop computer and don't see why I have to be forced into it. It's a daring experiment on Microsoft's part, and honestly I can foresee win 8 to be shorter lived than Vista, at least on desktops. Yeah, it could be a great tablet OS, I have nothing against that, but once again, having the whole tablet experience being enforced on the desktop user, I just don't get it. They wanted to come out with a bold product to perhaps compete with Apple better, but I doubt this move has a solid foundation at all. Just my 2 cents

4. SilverCircle

SilverCircle MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2012
    Who's telling you they will continue to go with the hybrid approach?

While Windows 8 still *is* a hybrid OS what if some "clever" mind over at MS decides that Metro is the way to go for the future, at least for the consumer-level OS and the conventional Windows will only be available to enterprise customers?

Won't happen? Well, i hope so, but you can never know and I see a small tendency for turning away from the open platform Windows still is (open in the sense that you basically have full control over the system and can install anything you want from any source you want - the app store is clearly a step in a totally different direction).

But let's pretend you're right and MS will continue to keep the conventional part of the OS "as is" in future versions? Why bother desktop users with all that clunky and hard to use Metro stuff? I don't really understand why they integrated it so tightly into explorer. Clearly, that was not necessary as Metro could very well run as a separate component.

To me, the concept doesn't make sense. More so, I fail to *see* a clear concept. It looks like they didn't really know what to do and ended up with the current approach of simply throwing everything into a box and shaking it, hoping the user will deal with the mess inside.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010

You realize you can unpin everything? You can even make it completly blank, showing 0 Items.
    Stop saying "Start button", Windows 8 also has a Start Button, but it's invisible normally and triggered on hover/click in the bottom left corner. What you mean is good old "Startmenu" (i better hope you mean that.. if not... lmao) but when you actually realize how you are supposed to use Windows 8 you should come across the simple idea that the "Startscreen" is replacing the Pin region of your Startmenu and it's missing "Recently opened list", other than that there isnt really a difference apart from Jumplists (hardly anyone used them) and that it's actually having a different Look. The Search offers the same functionality but has now 3 Sections instead of a unifed list.
    What extra clicks and scrolls in order to switch between apps are that supposed to be? Alt-tab is still there, App-Switcher is new and only has Desktop tile/Metro support (replaced old 7 winkey+tab)

But still, there isn't really any reason to upgrade to 8 as Windows 7 works perfectly fine.. you must ask yourself.. do you need..

• Explorer Ribbon
    • New Copy Dialog
    • Storage Spaces
    • Better System Notifications
    • Less annoying update mechanism
    • System Setting sync
    • Refresh/Reset + RecImg for custom image
    • Changed GUI for Permissions(^^)
    • Native controls for Brightness, Sound etc if you use a Notebook

and a few other changes i can't really remember right now as im using Windows 7 and Windows 8 is only running in a VM sometimes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #46 Shenj, Nov 26, 2012
    Your problem is that you fail to see the future of Devices, lets say Windows 8 still would only have Desktop.. but now "Windows 9" that comes next instead is current Windows 8, you'd have the same problem, a lot of hardware that just wasnt made for what "Windows 9" was designed for is out there.
    It seems nobody really gets that it's not about current generation devices.. Windows 8 simply also runs on them.. but it should be pretty clear, Windows 8 was made to run on the next generation of hardware, with more input solutions, more mobility, Work when you need, Play when you want, Produce when you have to, Consume when you want to.. it's just.. that it's not limited to the next generation of hardware, it runs on anything old too.
    Their approach is exactly what Windows needs to do, a Windows 7 in 10 years will like Windows 98 today, obsolute in anything designed or created in the next few years.

Just don't forget you can still buy and use Windows 7 just fine, and you will for a few more years because old PC's keep existing, they don't just vanish.

7. Vivek Rishi

Vivek Rishi MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    NO, in time you will see.
    Windows has evolved, and so should we.

How I take peoples' comments about Windows 8 is that they find it very hard to welcome a CHANGE.

Might this help people understand to why Microsoft has brought about this change; a change which was anticipated since Microsoft introduced a unique START MENU in Windows XP and removed even the system icons from the DESKTOP, the MENU was powerful but something was still missing, so was introduced the search function to the MENU in later revisions of Windows to justify, when compared its functions to its name, the "START" MENU.

Before the START MENU came into existence, people built this habit of cluttering the DESKTOP with Program shortcuts and of course files. To discourage the need to minimise opened windows to access the files and shortcuts placed at the DESKTOP and convey the actual philosophy behind, the right method of working with the Windows, the real meaning was added to the START MENU: like Personal Folders classified on the basis of Media type that is Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Games; System icons like Computer, Control Panel; Search box; ability to Pinup program shortcuts and later even frequently accessed files and folders to the START MENU as well as to the TASKBAR to even further discourage people from cluttering the DESKTOP with lots of shortcuts, files and folders.

But people don't understand or they just don't want to change their Habits. The START MENU failed to accomplish its real purpose, so has Microsoft decided to unify the START with the DESKTOP, the evolution or you can say the fusion is what they call the START SCREEN.

8. Vivek Rishi

Vivek Rishi MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Try Touch Screen with Keyboard and Mouse, you will like it.

9. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    it is great at the beginning but sucks like a month later,since i have learned how to modify the windows 7 ISO image for the best speed and performance,i find windows 8 a waste of my time,At least for me :p

10. ssszenith

ssszenith MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2011
    wth won't lemme vote.

anyway it's this:

I'm going with it because it's the latest version of Windows

w8 annoying and useless new UI is M$ failed attempt of establishing a monopoly acquiring a dominant share of the internet market of search, maps, e-mail, e-stores and else, so far mainly dominated by google.

M$ clearly put all mayor google applications similars already mentioned above in a pathetic effort to advertise bing and draw people to use their internet services such as the required email account linked to w8 UI, as if people didnt already have enough accounts.

M$ was already sued for monopoly before in europe and lost it, and i see this new W8 move as another attempt of forcing more linked services without te slight possibility of competition due to the present lack of support for other providers to offer their own versions of W8 UI metro apps, by this i mean for example to enable google maps on W8 UI instead of Bings'.

Having the total OS market dominance, M$ sure is pushing the competition law.

11. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #51 Shenj, Nov 26, 2012
    Anyone can put out a windows 8 app... they are not what you think they are if you think they can simply "enable google maps"... LMAO
    Google has to code it's own Google Maps app obviously, Microsoft aint going out of their way to code theirs.. also just a note.. Bing Maps is TERRIBLE, i don't know why anybody would use it, the "Maps" app is useless..
    Load up IE > maps.google.com > pin to startscreen for the time being, until google actually provides a google maps app thats actually worth using.

As a free service, i fixed your $ attack in the quote.

12. frequentc

frequentc MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2011
  13. giggitygoebbels

giggitygoebbels MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2012
    The thing I don't like about windows 8 is there is advertisements in the built in apps.

14. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Its only at the end of the metro apps and if it bothers you so much, block all the ad based addresses in your host file or get software to do it.

15. giggitygoebbels

giggitygoebbels MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2012
    I can do it now,but in future,when there is countless different ads,there's no way to do that.may as well don't do it.also I uninstalled all the apps with ads already.

16. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Okay, I did. So I can boot to W8 Metro within 9 secs. Fine.
    With my SSD I get the W7 desktop within a few secs more.

That saves me minutes of my life if I boot a thousand times. ;)

17. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    In my original post I did mention that I used Windows 8 on an Acer W500 capacitive touch screen tablet. The touch features worked as well as Windows 7 - no real improvement. My main problem was the dumbing down of the user experience in the start screen. Click on a tile and you are presented with a single window. How long do you want to look at a single window of any app? Soon you find yourself reverting to the desktop again to multitask and have several windows open.

18. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I got a refund

Today I called Microsoft (in US: 877-696-7786) and requested a refund for Windows 8. I talked to a rep who asked me my order number, method of payment and email address. She directed me to a web page where I accepted an Electronic Letter of Destruction (ELOD). Refund is pending, but I got the confirmation email. If you bought it and you don't like it, get your money back.

19. That Other Guy

That Other Guy MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2012
    I have already commented previously on this topic and some may think this is not the right place for this comment but, I feel the need to step in again with another 2 pennies worth.
    I would challenge anyone to give Windows 8 a real try for your money in a true production environment.
    Take your best and most prized production computer and pop in this new OS upgrade disk and/or downloaded executable and install it today. After install I would like to know how many are capable of one half of production. I would like to know 6 hours after install how many are up to full production. If you have any production at all you would be lucky!
    I have installed this OS on 20 pc’s so far just for the sake of it running tests….and well the results are not promising. Out of 20 pc’s only 7 were at a reasonable stage of production in an hour. Of the remaining 13 only 8 of them were functional but I am still chasing bugs and looking to patch or shim. The last 5 are basically rendered useless. They either never made it past the compatibility test or have hardware incompatibilities, program failures and errors after reboot. 2 of them never made it past the first initial reboot! This is unacceptable to me.
    Go ahead give it a try and then come back and comment after you have lost an entire day or possibly a whole week of work production. Go ahead and give this a try and come back and comment after you find that only 50% of your programs and peripheral devices work in a stable manner. Just take that great leap and come back to comment after you find that the OS isn’t working for you, but only after wiping the previous OEM version from your system. Realizing that you have entered the point of no return and finding that half of your data is missing.
    Microsoft is banking on you losing the previous version of your OS so you ~have to move forward. The support is limited with their new support policies. They are not going to help you with anything more than the Windows 8 upgrade. The previous OS is S.O.L. at this point. They want you to pay for support. They want you to buy those keys. Why else would they sell it for such a low price.
    One more bleeping statement -Only offering upgrades or unsupported system builder packages is a slap in the face to a technician or anyone for that matter!
    I feel as though I have said enough today and as previously stated I will need more time to further evaluate this new OS. All new things are cool at first. It is only after a prolonged period of time do you really begin to develop a full understanding of what you have…..
    1. Please, do your homework thoroughly before you buy!
    2. There are no re-due’s unless you back-up, back-up, back-up.
    3. Take my advice, be redundant for were you are and absolutely before you move forward.

20. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Must say that with Startisback Win8 is pretty usable & in fact necessary to have (at least as a VM) to manage Server 2012 with RSAT

Without normal menu and only Metro it is something to avoid IMO

sebus