How does Windows preserve personal data and apps?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JBenal, Feb 3, 2017.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    In older versions, upgrading Windows didn't do a great job of preserving your stuff. I remember at least once I upgraded and found all my programs were still located in the Program Files directory, but the links were lost and none of the programs were registered - so just about useless. Windows 10 seems to do a perfect job of preserving personalizations and software. How do they do it - or rather - how can I do it to save off all my personal stuff? Is there a program that can do this and allow everything to be restored in place in a fresh Windows install?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks. I'll look into a trial version and see if either of them can transfer the data/files to a backup server vs. to a newly installed PC. I'd like to have the data and files saved in case they're needed.

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

In place upgrade worked pretty well even in the w3.11 days (and almost perfectly since vista), what was (and is) hard in windows, is to move your old settings to a new system, installed from scratch and /or to a different machine.

But now you can use forensit, a tiny, free utility that makes the move as easy as in Linux.

5. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I just attempted to do this using EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro. It can transfer files directly over the network, or using a file that's transferred to the second PC. I used the network method. All the software showed up on the second PC, but not the licenses. Also, it failed to copy over my music or pictures, but did copy my documents. So I wouldn't consider that a success. I'll try some other software and report back if I have a successful transfer.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I doubt it will get all you want until you get wallet out:D

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Forensit has several products, Are you referring to Transwiz?

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Yes if you want to transfer to same computer or different computer :p

9. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
  10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Personally I use the user profile wizard only and I copy/move the profile by hand, but transwiz should be good for less skilled users.

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Can you explain to us how to do that? A step-by-step procedure will be very appreciated. Do you backup your files up before the manually copy/move process? I would like to look into these utilities for educational purposes.

I find your 'less-skilled-users' statement patronizing though. It is not necessarily required to pass information that will benefit others around. However, it is your post and you are entitled to it.

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Wow, 2 people, 2 completely opposite opinions!

Honestly, who cares about software transfer?
    One has the original install (saved or can just download current version when needed)

As to setting?
    Make copy of the source drive to .wim
    From there one can copy any required settings from ntuser.dat registry and C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\

Not really difficult or magical

14. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I made image to transfer (Same PC) :p

15. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    What's the deal with Transwiz? Do you have to create a new/temp user (and log in as that user) to transfer your real user profile? I can only get this far.

transwiz.jpg

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Obviously you need to check the "show unassigned profiles" box to see any "foreign" moved or copied profile

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Less skilled is a condition, not an insult.

Whatever what is unclear? :g:

Move the profile you want to use and use the profwiz to bind it to the actual profile.

18. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm aware of that. I'm trying to copy my current user profile.

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You can't copy your current profile while it's in use.

Whatever I don't understand why you want to copy it.

The typical scenario is.

You did a fresh install, you have the windows.old folder, and a freshly created user.

You want to use your old profile, so move it from \windows.old\user to \user. Then launch profwiz, and switch your profile from the new (useless) one to your old.

Logoff, logon and your old settings will be back.

20. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    There are several different programs for copying/transferring user settings/data from one computer to another. I guess Transwiz isn't what I want. See above that I was trying to copy my current settings/data/apps from one computer to a new installation on a different computer.

Also, in your example, you say you have a "freshly created user". If I'm installing a new computer, my user name on the old computer will be the same user name on the new computer or Windows installation. I'm not going to create a new user name for myself on my new computer.

But just to be clear, I understand your explanation and it seems like that's what Windows does when you upgrade to a new version.