How Long Does My HDD Have ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ceo54, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Dolnor

Dolnor MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2018
    Your hard drive is going to DIE TOMORROW!!! Find a temporary hard drive to use until you can get the one you want. Clone that drive NOW!

I used to work for a pc repair shop. Fifty percent (50%) of calls concerning hard drives were from people who had systems with drives that were slowly failing but kept putting off getting a new drive. Then the drive(s) fail, their clients' records are lost, and now they don't want to pay $1,000s USD to recover the data. We ended up just refusing to help clients who asked "Yeah, but how long until it dies? I need a specific time frame until I HAVE TO replace it. It is making noises but if you just tilt the computer over like this and hit it, it runs fine all day!" LOL

TQQdles™

2. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you for your input Donor. Yeah I've just finished taking the backup. Now I can try and repair the bad sectors. Gotta read the thread from the beginning.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. analog_life

analog_life MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2018
    Many factors affect hard drive failure, depending on the user's usage, therefore the best advice you can get is to backup and backup and backup.

Most mechanical hard drive failure is caused by bearing failure, where you will hear the clicky clack sound, but by the time you hear the sound, some data may have been lost. So, backup and backup and backup if the data stored on the drive are important to you,

4. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015

Thank you for the kind advise. Already did that. Though I couldn't get the notebook to boot from the USB to be able to run hdat2 and try and repairing the drive. I'll get onto it again once I find some free time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    #25 WindowsGeek, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    The number one enemy of HD failure is heat mainly in laptops.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Getting dropped on the floor probably doesn't help either

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :tooth:

8. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015