How many here uses Technet - and what do you think about the price?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by myhken, Aug 5, 2010.

?

Do you have Technet or want to get Technet

1. Yes, I have Technet today, and I think it's good value

25.1%
  2. Yes, I have Technet today, but I think the price is to high

3.9%
  3. No, I don't have Technet, but I want to get an account

38.6%
  4. No, I don't have Technet, and I don't want it.

7.7%
  5. I'm buying Windows and Office in a retail store or on MS internet store

0.5%
  6. I'm never paying for any MS product, always using Loaders, KMS or other hacks.

24.2%
  1. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    And if you buy Technet Pro, you get a 500 activation MAK key to Win7 Enterprise and a 100 activation MAK key to Windows Vista Enterprise.
    And on both Standard og Pro you get 500 activations MAK keys to Server 2008 / Server 2008 R2 products (Standard = only Enterprise and Standard)(Pro = all versions).

Office 2007 gives you 10 licenses per product (Standard, Pro, ProPlus, Ultimate, Enterprise) and Office 2010 10 licenses for Standard and ProPlus.

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Is it 10 licenses per product or 10 keys per version with each key good for 10 activations. On your reco, I got a Technet Pro subscription which is great. Why the lesser number of activations for office 2010 (200) than for office 2007 (close to 500). Of course, office 2010 has only 2 Technet versions, but office 2007 had 5 which was perhaps all versions released.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, one can use technet immediately after payment, which results in getting a benefit access no, which alongwith mail id can be used to immediately claim and download from technet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Yea im thinking of it but since i found pretty much what i need from MS online and from MDL Forum (hehe......) i dont really need a technet account, altho it costs 149 USD which is roughly 1200 SEK its not that much to spend..

On friday im going a a smaller interview for a job (only a tempjob to start with).. my upload is s**tty but if i get a work after those months at that company i might get better upload and get an ftpserver online:)

5. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #87 acyuta, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    Why pay for M$ products? while you can get them free... ;)

(personal opinion)

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    You are right. Some one pays for a MS contract (in this case Technet) and gets shafted after purchase. Typical of a selling mentality.

9. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Still, strange that MS have not released any information about the change. No info on the website, no mails etc. Reducing the number of key with 80% on Standard and 50% on Pro is allot, and they should had informed all their existing customers. I bet MS get allot of mails thees days.

10. hclarkjr

hclarkjr MDL Member

Nov 18, 2007
  11. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Thats why I don't think this is an error, why the different number of keys to Standard and Pro? 2 keys is normal if you have an BizSpark account (MSDN) so if there was any error there, the number had been 2, not 5 on the pro account. But the time will show. I have got all my keys so I don't care. I just got access to my Technet Pro account again also, after waiting almost three weeks for a refund. But now I have both Technet access ( to 2011) and I got all my money back from a renewing I did in error.

12. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Now i actually have some money but im not gonna buy it:p Atleast not yet hehe.. We'll see when i get me a job and what my salary will be.

Technet is prio 2 and Prio 1 is higer up/down speed for FTPserver;)

13. sofatiger51

sofatiger51 MDL Senior Member

Mar 3, 2010
    @myhken,

Thanks for your Technet post. It is indeed a good value to do it for me next time. By the way, I visited M$ Technet site yesetrday, I could not find under benefits how many keys you get for each product. Moroever, for U.S. subscription, only Office 2007 (all version) offered. Office 2010 was not listed at all as program offered to Technet subscription. This is under M$ USA subscription.

14. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    They have not updated their list yet, so on the list Office 2010 is not on it. And it's other error on the list also. Server 2008 R2 Web and Datacenter stands on Technet Standard, but you only get Server 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise. It take some time for MS to update their list it's seems like.

15. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
  16. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #97 acyuta, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Based on the discussions here and on technet

Thread Title Technet Standard Keys
    Started by: mbeaver

it would seem that:
    1. no of keys for most current desktop apps such as win 7 and office 2010 are now 5 for pro and 2 for std. However, if one has claimed all the keys prior to this change, then this is not relevant.
    2. with reduced no of keys, not obvious if it is 10 auto activations/key. Perhaps phone activations will be some more.
    3. For pro customers, the reduction in windows 7 keys would not matter much since enterprise is for 500 activations (could also be reduced?). Reduction in office keys would mean 100 activations for pro and 40 activations for std.
    4. one disconcerting note in that thread: deactivation after expiry???

What is the process for phone activations. Is it like this:

To obtain the telephone number for an Activation Call Center in your local region , run slui.exe 4.
    Then Use the Interactive Voice Response system to obtain the CID; then, run:
    slmgr.vbs TargetComputerName <UserName> <Password> /atp <CID>

17. sofatiger51

Mar 3, 2010
    It is unbelievable that Microsoft still acting imperial to just cut the number of keys without advising current technet subscribers. This is what i called arrogance and greed. The last copy of Windows I paid for was retail Vista Ultimate which I paid M$ for US$ 399. As we all know Vista is a piece of SHxx. After Vista, I swear I will never pay for any M$ products. Just When i started to change my mind about subscribing to M$ Technet and this crap came up, M$ can kiss my butt and I would not give them a dime.

18. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    If you dont like MS or technet why the hell do you write in this thread?
    Isnt it better not to read it?

I understand if you come with constructive posts and with ideas...

19. sofatiger51

Mar 3, 2010
    Did I say I don't like M$ or Technet? Point it out to me. I am expressing my disgust at M$ sudden action. Am I not entitled to voice my opinion? Who are you to tell me whether I can post here or not? This was started @Myhken and not you.