How many here uses Technet - and what do you think about the price?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by myhken, Aug 5, 2010.

?

Do you have Technet or want to get Technet

1. Yes, I have Technet today, and I think it's good value

25.1%
  2. Yes, I have Technet today, but I think the price is to high

3.9%
  3. No, I don't have Technet, but I want to get an account

38.6%
  4. No, I don't have Technet, and I don't want it.

7.7%
  5. I'm buying Windows and Office in a retail store or on MS internet store

0.5%
  6. I'm never paying for any MS product, always using Loaders, KMS or other hacks.

24.2%
  1. totalfixation

totalfixation MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    how much are tech net accounts ? and how do they work?

2. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    A Technet Standart supscription is 213 € in Europe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Continue here,you will find more details in this thread..

4. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    I think the accounts are too expensive, just like all microsoft products.

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Depends on where you buy it.. I mean MS products, they dont have same price in all countries.

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    In India, Technet Pro is very expensive at US$ equivalent of $550 approx. But I do not know whether it contains media (I think it does as I had checked about in mid-2010). Took out a UK subscription to Technet Pro and in my personal opinion, I think it is very good value.
    At that time (Aug 2010), an Indian credit card (with a UK delivery address) worked. Using an Indian credit card with a US address did not work. US is the cheapest but for that I think one needs a US credit card (possible favour from relatives/friends to buy in the US).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I want to thank the OP. I was going to get this way back when XP x64 was being beta tested, but decided to pass on paying to be a beta tester. Then I read this post a couple of months ago and see it is for any and all versions of Microsoft products even if they aren't BETA anymore. I guess they still need testing after release. This post has saved me several hundred dollars on fees for my computers. I find this service a HUGE bargain! Even not having the discount coupon. Good thing I found this post before buying Office 2010 plus being able to upgrade all my computers to Windows 7 and all for the cost of 1 copy.

Thanks again
    -=Mark=-
    p.s. I do have one question. When I renew my subscription at the end of this year will I get a new pair of activations for all versions? Or will I need to sign up for a new (second) account if I need more activations?

8. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    If you have manage to use up all the activations (Standard=20 act per product, pro=50 act per product), then you have to get a new account. Remember that's not renewing, but getting a new account. All the licenses from the old account shall work for life so long that you don't misuse the first account.

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #149 acyuta, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    Considering the expected product pipeline of Microsoft, the best strategy will be to buy say today, generate all keys immediately, and download whatever. This will give access to all MS products and their keys till Jan 2012. Of course, the keys are lifelong (whether you renew or not) as long as you are not involved in what is defined or interpreted by MS as piracy!!! Then do not renew. When you see a product refresh (2012-14 for Windows and Office, assuming that you are more interested in desktop software), buy again. Get a new set of keys for all products including all legacy and previous versions. Of course, legacy keys become more or less useless. Who wants to use XP or Office 2003/07 when a subscriber has access to Windows 7 and Office 2010.

Regarding number of activations per keys, no one knows for sure. I have a technet pro which entitles to 500 enterprise activations. I can see the balance in VAMT 2.0 and estimate the used activations (current count of 492 activations left). However, VAMT 2.0 does not show the balance activations for Technet key for office. Based on web research and inputs from mykhen and other members, I figured that each key of office (in my case for office 2010) is supposed to be for 10 automatic online activations+some more phone activations. I know for sure that I have used one key for more than 10 (perhaps 15 so far) activations, and it was a success everytime (i.e. input key on installer, let it install, check and it is activated). No phone calls required at all so far. Let me see how long this continues. This was more of a naivete and experimentation exercise. Used perhaps 15 activations on 1 specific key between Aug-Nov 2010, but no installs/activations done subsequently. I generated the keys immediately on purchase of subscription and so had 10 keys for office 2010 pro and 10 for office 2010 std. Similar numbers for all windows versions except enterprise which is at 500. The new `anti-piracy' measures have reduced this to 5 for technet pro and 2 for technet std. 2 keys for office 2010 pro would roughly imply around 20-30 auto activations. Add a similar number for office 2010 std. That is still around 50 activations which is still decent, but not so much as before.

Since then, have made an image of activated windows 7 and office 2010 through the WD's free Acronis TIH, and whenever feel bored or restless, just use that image as a fresh install. Imaging and restoring does not decrement from activation counts.

10. sam263

sam263 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    #150 sam263, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Is it enough to generate all the keys for all softwares , and not to activate online ,

and when subscription period is ended ,the non-activated online licenses will be active ,any more ?

I dont think so ?

11. msmmpts

msmmpts MDL Member

Sep 25, 2010
    it is not good

12. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    #152 racky29, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    @sam263, the generated keys will be active long after the account subscription time has expired from what i can gather

i understand that msdn accounts can give out invites to others for an account that has full access to software and separate licence keys
    how many invites can be given out?
    and are invites available to technet accounts, or is it just msdn, hence the larger price difference.

13. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Not to go too far from topic, Phone activation seems to NEVER fail. They ask you some questions - You need to have the right answers. I think they are (from memory)
    1. Did you PC come with the OS Yes for OEM - No for Retail
    2. Have you ever installed this software before No for OEM - Told them 1 x for Retail
    3. Is this software installed on any other computers ? no no

14. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    If you renew your subscription, can you get a new set of keys and keep the original keys that were already assigned?

15. hclarkjr

hclarkjr MDL Member

Nov 18, 2007
    i don't think so but will check. i just renewed last week

16. hclarkjr

hclarkjr MDL Member

Nov 18, 2007
    and the answer would be no

17. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Then what is the point of renewal. I could get a new sub for 261 with a promo code and get a whole set of new keys.

18. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  19. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I just had to reinstall windows 98 for a friend and when I log onto technet I noticed there is no win 95/98/ME listed for some reason. Is there a glitch or does anyone have access? Seems kind of strange as all other versions of windows are available, even windows 3!

20. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    There's no Win95/98 on Technet..