How many of you have switched to Win 7 from Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by albsat, Dec 25, 2009.

?

Have you already switched to Win 7 from Vista?

1. Yes

121 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Still thinking...

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. flipicaneze

flipicaneze MDL Junior Member

Dec 18, 2009
    XP was good and still is, however the design is getting old and the x64 version never was fully supported. I have a Sony VAIO Z-series laptop with 4gb and 512mb NVidia chip for a total of 4.5GB needing to be mapped. I also have an Optiplex 755 with 4gb and an NVidia card with also another 512mb video card (the RAM can be maxed at 8gb). Need more then 32 bit to handle either machines.

I have never had any problems on any of my vista computers. The life on my laptop battery has always been 3 hours and I'm running Vista Ultimate with all the visuals at full speed.

I went to 7 on my desktop in order to take advantage of its CUDA like abilities, unlike Vista. Vista and XP performed well for my laptops, however I think its outstanding that 7 will take more advantage of the shader cores for more processing power. I also used an x64 version for further future proofing.

2. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    i was using win vista ultimate on aspire 4520. luckily, i bought it without OS, but the BIOS has SLIC 2.0. :)
    then when win7 leaked on september (CMIIW), i changed it to win 7 ultimate, with WOW 7 by Yen to activated it.. :)

but then, it died suddenly, the vga broke.. :(

then weeks ago, i bought asus eeepc 1005ha, bundled with sin 7 starter (it means: it has SLIC 2.1).
    actually, i was waiting for lenovo ideapad s10-2 bundled with win 7, but they never released it untill today in my country.. :(

i can only afford a netbook right now..
    n asus 1005ha's really worth it.. (SLIC 2.1 + 250 GB HDD + 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz)

so far, i'm really satisfy with my netbook + win 7 ultimate.
    only for browsing, a storage for my softwares (i'm an IT consultant in my office), office, watching movies, etc. and all of them run ok n smooth.

i really love this forum for sharing me so much info.. :)

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I mainly use windows 7 now, but vista is still there as dualboot for in case something goes wrong or MS detects the loader etc. And my dad stays on vista :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. anmg

anmg MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Forget Vista like bad dream

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    XP was the bad dream really...

6. johnalvin

johnalvin MDL Bios Modder

Sep 3, 2007
    XP>>>VISTA !?:eek:>>>XP>>>WIN7

That is my process i have used Vista for sometime but revert back to XP :D:D. then when switch to WIN 7 when it came out.

7. infrablack

infrablack MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I used vista for only 1.5 month when i bouht a new laptop. then i heard about win7 and switched to it in early beta stages of win7. i hate vista:D

8. netizen

netizen MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    I have dual boot Vista Ultimate+Windows 7 Ultimate.

9. King_Jay16

King_Jay16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 7 is a lot better than vista, switch my two cs over to windows 7, bn happy ever since

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    When the win7 beta appeared i was very keen to get involved. I was dual booting 7 and vista HP. Within a week of using the win7 beta i thought to myself , " this is good". M$ really nailed it with 7, IMHO. Then the reatail candidate appeared and that was it for me, Hasta la vista...... vista :) ;) . Finally moved on to the rtm, tried various activation techniques. Finally opting for the bios mod and what do you know ....... i bricked my mobo. New mobo, new bios mod, activated win 7 and one happy user. 7 is slick, well put together and somehow even with a simillar number of services running like in Vista, cpu and meory usage is just simply miles better. Id have to say well done to M$ for win 7.

11. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    kmr1685;211408]only one reason for that still i can't figure it out what i am doing in vista everything is working flawlessly but still i am not in control of my own machine how do you like this, as well as battery power consumption in my laptop my vista is huge its normal working time is 3hrs 10minutes;) but after six months of purchase my battery working time only 2hours:eek: believe it not or not it is up to you people who reading. i really hate this windows os basically.:mad::mad::mad: bad,bad,bad, M$ boy is vista.;)

ps: i think i am not harming anyone here talking about M$;).:D[/QUO
    Fully Draning the battery and all of a suddenly charging it full blast seem to decrease battery life.. it renders a fraction of the sell useless thus lessening its capacity to store energy... do this often and watch it go shorter and shorter and shorter then DEAD BATTERY! actually tested this on a toshiba sattelite with a Transparent Battery to observe the effects of Draining , Power Surges and Short Circuit on a project funded by ACS Technologies..

12. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    of course yes.. much better than vista..

13. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Switched since Beta1. The best decision I've ever made in my digital life! ;)

Win7 Beta1 was more stable than Vista SP1. That's for sure.

14. Fake Al Gore

Fake Al Gore MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2010
    You imply that you are a GNU/Linux user since you are complaining about control over your operating system. I assume you realize that almost all distributions of GNU/Linux have far inferior power efficiency than Windows 7. Also, as one other poster pointed out, your battery's ability to maintain a full charge decreases with age and with use. Lithium ion batteries, unlike their nickel-family counterparts, are adversely affected by fully draining all of the cells. Most batteries designed for laptop computers include a system to detect potential depletion and shut off the connection to a cell before it "flips" its charge. (This is fairly complicated to explain, but the scare quotes around the layman term should suffice for these purposes.)

If you're still running Windows 7, open an elevated command prompt and run the following command:

powercfg -energy -output c:\energytest.html

This command should be performed when your system is idle with no programs running in the foreground and minimal non-essential background services. Open the subsequent report in your favorite web browser and look for the battery life percentage. My Dell Inspiron E1505 was purchased in October 2006, and its battery still has 85% of its original life. This is likely due to me almost never using it on battery. Your battery will probably provide a significantly lower percentage given your anecdotal report.

Also, to make sure I stay on topic, I switched to Windows 7 about one month after the release candidate was available. I haven't looked back. I still use Windows Vista at work, and I have not experienced any problems with it.

15. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I have two desktop, one with XP and the other Vista.
    I switch the one with XP to 7 as a test.....after a week of testing I switch the other computer with Vista immediately to 7.
    Been using 7 for the past 5 months since without regrets.

My bro-in-law has 3 laptop, 2 desktop and a netbook (big family). Got a 7 disc from me for testing on one of his older laptop.
    A week later, all his computers has Windows 7.
    What can I say!

16. blued

blued MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2007
    I went from Win 7 RTM back to Vista. There are a few things I dont like about Win 7 which were enough to tip me back to Vista. These may seem like minor issues to most people but they are biggies with me:

1- I work with large numbers of files/folders. Some files or folders which I frequently access, I like to drag to a corner of the window to be within easy reach. You CANT do that in Win7! It will snap back into the grid with the many other files around it. This is the first Windows version since Win 95 that you couldnt drag a file or folder to a preferred spot within Windows!

2- When you select many files (or folders) to copy, cut or delete, I usually press the ctrl button while moving the mouse over them to select them en mass. But there is a problem with this in Win7. It does not highlight the selected files with consistency. Some files or folders may remain unselected. You have to mouse over them again to re-select them. With XP or Vista, they will all get selected without fail. This slows me down when working with large numbers of files. Now I know you can use the shift key to select first and last file to select all in between, but what if there are randomly placed files you dont want to include? So that is a no go option for me. And this is not just an isolated problem, I've seen it in other PCs with Win7, so its a Win7 issue.

Its just those 2 things above that are enough to keep me away from Win7. If they are corrected in service packs, I will be back to Win 7 right away.