How many still continue use Windows XP? And why?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Antigen, Sep 20, 2010.

1. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I still use it because I like it. I use W7 also on newer machines; I really like the aero-peek feature. the more I use W7, the more I like it...XP is still plenty productive for me...if I want an OS to play with and tweek; I'll use Linux........

I have run Windows 7 on some very low end machines for comparison....it is a good OS, no argument there.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Airclocker

Airclocker MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    I still use Win XP mainly for gaming. I have an adequate system so If some games that I play are slow on Win 7, I just install them on XP were they usually run faster/better, Since Windows uses more resources than XP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Oh! Here's so much to say but I will not go into details. Only one thing that people are very very well trained on XP and can work quicker on XP, even some people can operate XP in darkness. So using Vista and 7 will take time and time is very precious, so nobody wants kill his time. Another thing is that for Vista and 7, a high price computer is needed, more heavy hard disk, RAM, Processor and even Graphic Card (for enabling Aero Dektop) is required. But Windows XP can be operated on very low and normal every computer.

4. Joanne

Joanne MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2010
    Windows 7 gives me a headache. Limited ram still works good with XP.

5. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Since i use OSX as a main os, i only reboot into windows about once every 2 months. so i dont see the need to have 7 installed when XP will do what i want perfectly (even though i have a Slic 2.1 bios)

plus, running an SSD, i dont experience the mega slow down after a few months that i did before on a HDD

6. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    IKWYM. I still have XP (32-bit) on one of my laptops because a couple friends I help are still using it, and frankly, I hate to let it go comepletely. It's actually nicer looking in a way, with the blue toolbar and the cool custom icon packages (if you're a tweaker/customizing freak like me)... BUT, Aero is REALLY nice looking too.... the progress bars... the transparent stuff... the ability to set the background images to change every hour (or however long you want) like a slide show.... the system tray icons are bad looking though, while XP's systray icons are really nice. And I did tweak W7 (64) to behave and look like XP (put the toolbar back along the bottom and made it function the way it does in XP).

All in all, I'd say XP is still a faster, cleaner system. But I like W7 too. However, after using W7 for several months now and being dedicated to it being my primary system, I can't say there is any one thing aside from Aero that I would say "Oh my god, I could never give this up and go back to XP now!" XP still rocks too.

7. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I used XP all the time during the time Vista came out.....then I ditched it as soon as Windows 7 came out....better performance and utilization of dual core CPUs, better utilization of RAM, and more secure + looks better :)

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    ?????

Definitely OPPOSITE in my tests, real users could not make any use with default Fisher Price Win XP install, when they did not have any problems with using Win7

Sorry, but what kind of reason that is? Like saying I prefer my old 86 rusty Punto over new Polo because it is ... red

sebus

9. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    This guy/girl is definly blow alot of smoke or smoking it... First of all XP is less then 600meg, of course it will install in less time then Win 7 but that can fix, with using unatten install DVD. Second, Have you heard a thing call XP mode in Win 7? I guess you don't, it can run XP program in VMware mode. Third, Boot time in less then 1 minute with XP could be achive only with SSD/ROM, it will not achive that with a HD, I will bet you 100,000 dollars on this, want to lose your money on this? Put your money where your mouth is and lastly, I'm laughing about your statement number 5. So as you say it take a long time for Win 7 to boot up and fully operational, we can get a coffee break?? LOL...

10. MikeyHypocrisy

MikeyHypocrisy MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    idk if this comes across anyone else, but to me, vista and 7 have always intalled faster than XP. but maybe its just me.

11. Legendaryone

Legendaryone MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    i recently gave up xp for good for windows 7 ultimate best choice i ever mad win7 is so good the only reason i would stick to xp is more compatibly with older games

12. MikeyHypocrisy

MikeyHypocrisy MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    but since u have ultimate, xp mode should work for that. if u feel like taking that route that is

13. joelh

joelh MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2010
    I am still using Windows XP in my Celeron powered PC and my Samsung netbook.

14. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I still use XP Pro Because:
    I Can & I Triple Boot,
    Win XP Pro SP3:D:biggrin::p
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Linux
    Use Win XP Pro SP3 to run old software & "Love building" my Own Unattended XP CD/DVD'S, which I do all the time. I update them with Latest Driver Packs & Update Packs & I build them to include certain software that I like. Some of my relatives use XP for various reasons, also. My XP Pro SP3 Versions are also Very Fast, & work great.

15. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    @ my work they/I use XP Pro upgrading all the work PC is expensive (over 300 ea).
    @ home I have Vista & Win7 installed but mainly use Win7.

16. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Becuase old school OEM computers only ever have a SLP 1.0 and if you do decide to install XP you don't have to fart around using modding tools and flashers, real bitch to do a mod with a legit OEM computer as well.

Old school computers also don't have driver support for W7.

Even if you have a brand new computer XP SP3 is compatible with everything, even old games and even the latest games, can't say the same for W7.

17. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Well XP vs 7, that's on you of course. But I've yet to find any game not working under Win7. Even some very old Interplay games from the Win95 era are running just fine. (Granted, a couple require a quick registry hack for a corrupted 256 color palette issue.. takes a few seconds. They didn't have DWM in mind when they were written.)

If you don't want to flash, that's fine. I wouldn't call the 5 seconds it takes to install Daz 'farting around' though. Takes longer to type that than it does to install it.

Drivers can potentially be an issue with very outdated hardware, no arguments there. Haven't ran into it myself, but know a friend who has an old video capture board that hasn't been supported since ~2003 that will not run in 7, ever. (Personally, I'd just ditch the junker board and get with a better OS, but that's just me.)

Performance is a non issue. At least on my systems, boots faster, runs faster, runs smoother, and runs more reliably. I did have one system that was a little klunky (a tablet with a 900MHz Celeron and 512MB), ran pretty heavy on the swap, had to kill off indexing and whatnot, feels more or less the same as XP now. It's not Vista.. it's like calling Windows XP a Win2K service pack. Much more than that.

18. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Ah a new challeger appears! Worms Armageddon works on W7 but the colours go all ***** up, seems your having the same issues with your Interplay games, don't see why you'd want to make things hard for youself and make youself have to research what exactly to hack in the registry, bet that didn't take you 5 seconds.

I don't mind modding and flashing in general I just have a issue with modding legit OEM bioses and also flashing legit OEM bioses, ran into stupid issues like flags not being enabled and bulls**t like that and I tried my best to get around it but nothing worked.

Also I hate how everything has been put in different places on W7 like why the ***** can't you get to folder options unless you go to control panel now? And why the f**k has the run option on the start menu disappeared? I know you can use hot keys but you f**king can't do that if ur using terminal services!!!

Also on XP you can hack your terminal services service so you can have co-current connections, I'm not sure if you can do that on W7 but you sure can on XP.

Also ***** why do you get prompted to enter your user details on W7 everytime you do anything administrative even if you're logged in under an admin account already? You also have to ***** right click everything that may require administrative privileges and click "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" so ***** unnecessary!!

I could go on for days about all the things I hate about W7 but I'm trying to keep it short and sweet, basically W7 sucks!

19. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    I use both of them Windows XP and Windwos 7

Windows 7 for everyday use and XP for Cra***ng Soft (tools compability issues on W7)

20. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Cra***ng? You mean "Crashing" right? Since when is the word "Crashing" a swear word?

Why do you need both? Why not just have XP? You obviusly agree W7 has compatiblity issues, I think of W7 as almost Windows Vista and everyone agrees that that OS was rubbish, it's the new Windows ME (Mistake Editon), newer isn't always better and W7 sure isn't better!