How many still continue use Windows XP? And why?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Antigen, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
  2. billgates-suck

billgates-suck MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    The main reason why I still use XP until now is that I can't play my old fave game on win7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
  4. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008
    #44 jbysmith, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
    Wow, besides losing any credibility, what are you, five? Lets act like grown-ups, shall we?

The registry fix for the old old Windows 95 games are under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\. Need to enter the executable name and a couple of flags.. might want to complain to Microsoft for not supporting dead technology. I'd complain that your MSDOS games no longer run either. This fix is only required for some cards, possibly a driver glitch. The game itself is completely unaffected. Sorry if you type slow, took me about 5 seconds to find it in Google yea.

DX11 working fine on XP? Good luck with a bastardized installation as Microsoft won't even support DX10 on XP. Or are you referring to the now dead Alky project for DX10? Either way, it's bull. The latest you'll officially get from Microsoft is DX9.

More stuff to tweak out of the box? Guess that's subjective. Very little tweaks needing done for me anyway. Cracked UXTheme. Adjusted a couple of services. Only registry tweak (minus the old game or two) was to change the logon background. For me, significantly less than XP.

And no, I don't use ReadyBoost. I have 8GB and an SSD, plenty fine for my needs. I suppose you know better than Microsoft for low resource computing as well?

I wasn't talking about creating two users. I was talking about the fact that out of the box, you cannot connect a remote desktop to an XP machine without a person logged into the console first. It just rejects the connection otherwise. (Or did they finally fix that? Haven't used XP for quite some time, all 7, 2008R2 or BSD across the board now.)

As far as security goes, you might want to Google up the word. Running as an administrator full time is absolutely retarded, any program you randomly double click has full administrative access to your machine, any crapware your browser picks up instantly has full access, any stupid mistake you make (and I suspect there's a bunch) can instantly be fatal. There's a reason modern operating systems (desktop and servers alike) all run with least privileges, and the same reason why XP was such a favorite target of crapware authors/botnets/etc.

Come back when you get a clue, and grow up a tad. You had problems with 7, I pointed out how to fix them. I don't see how that rates ***** .

5. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
    #45 DARKOR04, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    Dude I use Windows XP because all my cracking/debugging tools and Olly plugins have compativility issues with windows 7

and windows 7 its the best OS ever since XP but can't use cracking/debugging tools in windows 7 they are too old, OllyAdvance crashes olly and Phantom pluging hangs olly in windows 7, that's the reason only use xp to crack software.... and that's the reason to dual boot XP/W7 you got a problem with that?

6. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #46 weaveR, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  7. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    As a matter of fact I do, don't see the point in duel booting when everything works on XP SP3. I don't think I even have to say anything to this you've already proved my point, W7 has compatiblity issues, XP doesn’t.

8. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    weaveR, you better have a look at the forum rules - see my signature. Read them and think about what you possibly could have done wrong. The infraction you got is a good hint to find out.

jbysmith, watch your language....!

Why can't you just discuss in a normal way with any argument you can bring up - since when is an argument a better argument if you "support" it with insults and foul language?

Back to topic...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. dabits

dabits Guest

I still use XP SP3 on an older Pentium 4 2.66GHz with 2 GB RAM and an MSI NX6200AX Graphics Card.
    It does everything it needs to do for me :)
    It can even watch HD in 720p and play some older games like Delta Force 2, but I almost never do that.
    I think I could run Windows 7 on it, but I'm not sure about finding all the drivers.
    When the time comes for an upgrade I'll install Windows 7 on it.
    I already use it on another desktop and a laptop, and it's more fun to use it.

Another thing I like about XP, I find it easier to use it with only the keyboard.
    In Windows 7 I started using the mouse a lot more.

10. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008
  11. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    No need for vindication...

12. dabits

dabits Guest

I believe this thread is called "How many still continue use Windows XP? And why?"

It's not a contest, you don't have to convince anybody into doing or believing anything!

:)

13. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Read my previous post again, I said "the average user who just wants to play games and not be a computer geek will not be interested" which implies I am capable but don't see the point in making things hard for myself when I do not need to, I do not see why anyone would.

Blah blah blah whatever man I just did a quick google search to find that, the title is "ATI Brings DirectX 11 Complexity to Windows XP" and haven't found a new game yet that I cannot play flawlessly. Speaking of OpenGL I rember I also had to use the 10-4 driver to be able to be able to play old games such as Call of Duty 1, just thought I'd mention that for someone who may have had the same problem as I once did myself. Also I used the right words alright maybe you should take your own advice.

Gotta love driver issues, you seem to anyway. I can tell you're trying pretty hard right now, what's the matter? You scared you'll loose your precious e-rep? People might stop thanking you for your ignorant posts, you even said it yourself you don't know about XP anymore since you've moved onto W7 so just stfu you don't know what you're talking about, I'm insanly defencive because it seems to me everyone are just stupid sheep walking their way into the slaughter house to become packaged meat at your local supermarket and I'm trying to educate you noobs!

Trolling how? By telling people they don't have to buy so much ram as you made the mistake of doing? Right... I highly recommend you have a look at some legit OEM computers at your local computer shop and see if they come with 8GB ram, it's an overkill and you know it, or not probably not actually you are pretty thick you just hide behind your long winded bulls**t and hope people will give up on you so you can think to yourself, "YES I WON THAT E-ARGUMENT". You should really learn to say things in less words most people will ignore you.

If I only had 1 user account then I wouldn't need to patch my terminal service service.

Again, blah blah blah. Too wordy, the common user would have antivirus that came with their legit OEM computer, the common user will not know how to hack the registry.

14. Taranaich

Taranaich MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2010
    still using xp x64 here. hated vista, but with all the good reviews 7 is getting, i'll probably switch eventually. i figure if its working, why mess with it. probably switch once i get set up with a crossfire video setup, take real advantage of dx11. until then, meh in no big hurry to back all my stuff up and reformat. (i dont trust upgrading.. too much leftover crap.)

she's just poking holes in your logic man, relax. you said dx11 works on xp, when it doesn't, then you post an article that doesn't even have anything to do with dx. doesn't mean games won't run, just miss out on the extra effects. have yet to see any games that are dx10+ only. all the new stuff is still working great in xp here.

again, relax. just because she doesn't use it anymore doesn't mean she instantly forgot how it works.. not like microsoft is changing anything in it anymore. i still remember how windows 3.11 works, but i'm not cramming it down anyones throat. you like xp, fine, so do i, but i dont need to start calling people names just to get the feeling that im right in my choice.

comon, she busted you on that one. besides, just because you dont use more than 4gb doesnt mean anyone else does. i do a lot of 3ds and photoshop work, and it quickly eats as much memory as it can get, well past the 4gb mark. ive even had a couple games go over that since it was there. tone down the fanboism man. turning a chat into nerdrage.

most preinstalled antivirus flat out sucks, and youre kidding yourself if you think whatever you have on will catch everything. doesnt take registry hacks to do it, just look at any web page with a bad ad in it, and youre done. when i do switch to 7 ill probably leave uac on, it only pops up when youre installing something anyway.

15. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008
    My thoughts exactly. You've done nothing but act like an ignorant child who can't even see the flaws in your own logic. Since you can obviously only spout nonsense and swear your head off instead of having a real adult discussion, I'm done.

When did MDL turn into /b/?

16. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    #56 weaveR, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    Well at least it's not W7 x64 which comes bloated full of useless crap I guess.

I seriously don't know what you expected when you decided to waltz your way into a "How many still continue use Windows XP? And why?" thread which is a subcategory of the Windows XP section of mydigitallife and start ranting on about how I'm wrong, your a girl your lucky I even acknowledged your opinion, rules 1 and 2 newfag, take my advice and stfu, shouldn't you be busy making a sandwich or something rather than being on the computer 24/7?

17. Taranaich

Taranaich MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2010
    #57 Taranaich, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
    whoa dude, that's just too far. someone mentioned problems they had with 7, and she pointed out the fix. its you thats ranting, and now youre also showing how much of a god damned idiot you really are, and even more so when she proved your arguments wrong. at least she pointed out when she didnt know if she was sure about her facts with the one point, which is much more than anyone can say about you. just keep going, no matter how retarded you sound just to drown everyone else out to prove youre 'right'. or do people need to constantly say rolf, stfu, and lolzors just so you understand?

reading over your last few posts you obviously dont have a clue what youre talking about, do everyone a favor and shut the hell up before you do real damage. ive been here all of a day, and its pretty obvious the only thing your really good at is talking crap about other people just so your pathetic ego feels better.

im sorry, a friend of mine suggested this was a good tech forum, turns out he was wrong. just a hangout for kiddies like you.

ban my account, please.

18. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  19. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Okay, this is getting ridiculous. People use different OS's for their own reasons and this is better than that is just a matter of perspective and preference. There is no need to bash one another about these opinion's. Lets stop this ranting and swearing and discuss like intelligent adults or this thread will be closed.