How many still continue use Windows XP? And why?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Antigen, Sep 20, 2010.

1. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2011
    Why use XP?
    A) it still does the job
    B) It is a legal, valid license
    C) The license came with the machine which is still running just fine
    D) M$ wants an unreasonable amount to upgrade
    E) I don't use stolen software (although I will use hacks to deal with issues like machine 1 has a valid license but the install media is damage/lost ... it is unreasonable to expect people to purchase a new license when they have the actual license that was originally paid for and installed on the machine.)

2. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Because us human beings suffer from something called "nostalgia" cant help but installing it just to see it again.. :)

3. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I'm sure no one on MDL is using stolen software, some however test it free of charge for the various companies producing the aforementioned software :D

4. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    I still use XP. The reason is it's old hardware and still functions but there are few Vista/W7 drivers so I would have to buy new hardware.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thats why I too, in some of my ancient PCs!! ;)

6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #86 stayboogy, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
    since this old thread seems to have been resurrected...

i personally prefer XP to the Vista because Vista lags out if there isn't the minimum 2gb ram installed in the machine, and it Vista does not give the user the ability to properly control and take ownership of the system, as well as i absolutely hate the security pop ups that seem to be standard no matter what the user does.

I don't have much experience with 7, but having an older machine--though upgrade adviser says 32bit will work just fine on my machine with no troubles--makes me cautious. Not to mention that since i despise vista so much i doubt 7 will make me any happier considering it's just built on basically the same platform as Vista.

XP lets me have the control that I want over my system, runs fast on my machine, and is easily tweaked to my likings--and still works perfectly--if it's not broke don't fix it.

and no one should have to pay such a ridiculous price to upgrade, then buy all new software as well to work with the new OS; why support the M$ monopoly more than you have to

7. andhrew

andhrew MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2010
    i use xp only on old machines where win 7 cant be installed ;)

8. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    1. I can use scan and fax functions on my HP T45 Office All-in one printer, while in Win 7 I can only print..

2. On other older computers, Win 7 cannot be installed, because not enough speed and memory...

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    acrsn, well thanks for your input; i've been considering doing a dual boot with XP still being the default OS and 7 the secondary just to try it out, but i really just got my pc back to "pristine operations" a couple of days ago and i'm not really wanting to deal with @ the moment, though supposedly 7 installs in less than an hour so i've heard.

and unfortunately i'm only running 1gb ram and when i tried vista it was so slow i couldn't take it, that's why i mentioned that above. 1gb ram enough to run 7 efficiently without the lag?

10. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hello boys,

let me say Windows XP has reached "time to change..." stage, on top of that at work we are still using XP Pro, no other OS allowed... we are introducing step by step Seven, that for everything is better than XP.
    It works as far as good on even old hardware, but if u have old hardware, keep as "museum odd" and every new computer u buy has seven on it.

At home have 7, but with the new tryings, win 8 7955 is far far better with seven; on notebook gives me a performance, compatibility and reliabilty excellent results, seeming well working with even old peripherals that XP doesn't recognize without driver, seven is finding it not always, and the last one install all drivers with no issues....

So, from my point of view, yes, it's time to move to SEven, waiting really what M$ will show further improvements on 8 builds...

nice goin'

11. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Not being able to do a slow double click in tree and rename a folder is an improvement?
    Can't close folder tree, always there is an improvement?
    Folder tree full of junk unless you hack it is an improvement?
    Can't clone user profiles in a few sec as in 2000 and XP is an improvement?
    Search is completely useless and extremely slow is an improvement?
    You can't set a default folder view FOR ALL FOLDERS, Windows 7 always thinks it knows better than you.
    In general twice the clicks to do half is an improvement?
    Control panel a mess, normally when you have a folder with name next to it, it's alphabetised top to bottom, not sideways is an improvement?
    No gif support is an improvement?
    Start menu a mess, no classic option is an improvement?
    No up or refresh icon in explorer is an improvement?
    In folder tree, if you open a subfolder, then move to parent folder by hitting the - so focus is changed to parent folder, you still see content of subfolder, not the parent folder, is an improvement?
    No inbuilt email program, well it's there but hidden, is an improvement?

This is just what I could think of in 5 min, there are tons of other things that are so****** up, it's a joke.
    It's a hobby / home user OS, reason business' shy away from it.

12. cyba

cyba MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2007
    I'll go with LateShift. WN7 is too 'anal' for me.
    It is time to upgrade to something from XP but I'm not convinced
    WN7 is the way to go (running a dual boot XP and WN7 system
    so I'm au fait with both.) I also run Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 11
    on different computers.
    Snow Leopard is the best OS..

13. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #93 zahnoo, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    1. My default MS Virtual PC 2007 is XP Pro with a footprint of ~3.3GB and it does everything I need a VPC to do at this point.
    2. Have remote family members so it's difficult to get them upgraded to 7.
    3. Some of my Ham radio programs were written for DOS. XP runs them fine but 7 has problems.
    4. I'm a " computer resource person" for several friends of mine who still have XP; sometimes I just need to be able to run XP when they ask for help.
    4a. Some people are not comfortable using a "non MS" activation and I respect that.
    5. They're simply just using whatever was installed on their computer when they bought it and will "upgrade" when/if they get another.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I disagree, it all depends on what you want and need. My wife has a "modern" multi core CPU computer with 4GB RAM and it's very nice indeed. Works extremely well as our "Audio-Visual" computer. But my three desktop computers are all dinosaurs with 2GB RAM and AMD Socket "A" single core XP 3200+ processors. My primary usage is home business with no gaming. One motherboard is a 2004 vintage Gigagyte GA-7VT600P-RZ and on it Windows 7 runs beautifully. In fact, it's faster than XP ever was. All my video cards are 64-128MG AGP type. I have turned off all menu animations.

I recognize my needs are not that of a gamer but still, I've got some really OLD components (WEI = 2.4-3.4) and 7 (including Aero) quite frankly amazed me at how really well it runs. Multitasking on all but my wife's machine can bog things down a bit, but that's not a problem for me.

I have 7 installed on two netbooks both of which have Atom processors. They both run better than XP ever did and my very un-geeky wife even commented on that.

I understand the reasoning that 7 won't run on old stuff, but the reality of the situation, for me at least, is that 7 is a far more capable OS than many people think. But MS needs to sell their product and so do hardware makers, so they'd naturally push their newest stuff.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    1) Economics, they don't want to upgrade due to cost and what they have serves them well.
    2) People opposed to change, have loads of those, don't handle change well.
    3) Software compatibility, have something from the Win 9x days that runs on XP but doesn't play well on windows 7. Eg. older Caterpillar STW