How many times can I activate my key?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Beio, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Hi, there's something I don't really get. I mean, I have a key for Windows 8 Pro (from Bizpark).
    If I eventually try to update my w7 home premium to w8 pro, and I find it buggy or if I decide to format my system later to have a clean installation, is my key already burnt or I can do this?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    As long as you have a legit key which is not shared anywhere on the Internet, you can use it several times for a reactivation etcetera and if this doesn't work, you can complain and write a letter to MS or find other methods like a headset e.g.

3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

It is 10 times for technet, not sure for bizspark. But why not make a disk image of your currently activated OS so you can restore to that OS without activating.

BTW, if the hardware is identical your activation count should be unaffected. I can verify this is the case with my mak key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    BizSpark gives you full MSDN access, so the keys is Technet/MSDN Retail keys. 10 online activations - 15 phone activations. I have never "used" up a key before, so don't know what happens after 15 phone activations. But if you have BizSpark you got at least 5 keys to Win8 Pro, so thats 50 online activations.
    Don't think you're going to run out soon.

5. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    thank you, the other keys are shared with the other people of our start up, so I have access just to one key. 10 online activation would be fine for my purposes but a backup of the activation sounds good too (I would use on my primary notebook, so the hardware will stay the same). I would have like to use it for my desktop pc and another notebook I have but I use less frequently so it's better to save the key for the notebook I use the most. Thanks :)