How many Virtual Machines do you have?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by smartboyhw, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Mcicool

Mcicool MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2014
    ESXi 5.5u3e with total of 21 virtual machines, mostly win.server 2012r2/centos/win7
    Total resources of vcenter:
    240Ghz
    736Gb RAM
    21TB disk space

2. BeaMeUp

BeaMeUp MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    Too many! :D
    1.) All my VM's are for learning experiences. Advancing my skillset. Except for 1 Win10 VM I use to connect to my work account.
    2.) I don't own any physical Windows machines.
    3.) All my VM's reside on USB3 external hard drives

My 2 computers are:
    A System76 Kudo Pro Laptop. Been running Ubuntu Gnome for about 3 years now. 8GB Ram, I7. I tried VMWare on it but it was sluggish.
    Virtualbox flies on it so that's what I use.

1. Windows 10(legit) It was Win 7. I tested the upgrade there. Mainly for testing software and keeping my Windows skillset in check. Office 2013 here
    2. KDE Neon - The only distro I use with KDE right now. Learning experience
    3. Zorin OS 12 - Just playing
    4. Linux Mint 18 - Just playing (actually don't like it)
    5. Kali - testing

2nd machine is A 2014 MacMini with 8GB Ram runs Sierra for now
    I run the latest Virtualbox and VMware Fusion 8. No advantage for either IMHO. A few more features with VMWare

VMWare Machines::
    6. Win 10 Pro(legit). This is the one I use for my work account. Has Office 365 on it
    7. Mac OSX Sierra - Test software and apply my upgrades here 1st
    8. Fedora 25 - Learning
    9. OpenSuse Tumblweed - Learning
    10. Ubuntu - Just to see what's happening on the flagship with Unity.
    11. Windows 7 Pro 32 bit - a copy of my old acer laptop. Can't upgrade to 10.
    12. Ubuntu Nightly builds - just playing with the newest here
    VirtualBox Machines:
    13. Win10Pro - I had upgraded this from 8.1. I put my HUP version of Office 2016 here and i use it for Quicken
    14. LMDE - The only Linux Mint I like
    15. Lubuntu - just because I need to know how to use it. It's what i put on older machines for people mostly.

Now, I'll add flash drives for Readyboost on the Win VM's. Helps with the speed on windows I find.
    and i'll play with a bunch of other Linux distros from time to time. Antergos, Debian, Elementary, Budgie, etc.
    Will start messing with servers soon.

I currently work in Manufacturing. A Chemical plant. Shiftwork. Plans are to retire from that soon and I would like to get a job in a tech related field.
    I'm leaning towards a Linux Certification to start. We'll see. Maybe I'll just go be a greeter at Hooters instead :p:D:D

I've been doing a bit of testing for pCloud on their Appimage versions for Linux. Basically just offering feedback from usage and issues I run across.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. softfinds

softfinds MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2017
    Microsoft Windows Longhorn? For what purpose?

4. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Hi, I am in the process of creating a heritage collection of old Windows OSes on VMware Workstation.

I bought VMware for real in 2016 because it served me very well.

The only bottleneck is getting Windows XP Starter to work on VMware Workstation 12.5, because VMware relays the processor information to the guest, making XP Starter think it is running on an ineligible processor and then rage quit into blue screen (I am sure a quad-core 4.0 GHz i7-6700K monster was not what XP Starter had in mind).

Struggling with Windows 10 is more of a fault with the OS itself because just after the install it tries to download junk like Candy Crush. This is why I cannot leave Windows 7 Ultimate yet.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It's the same with VirtualBox. The CPU is not virtualized and passed nearly unmodified to the guest (Number of cores, and VT-x/AMD-V are two exceptions). That makes XP Starter fail (I had Error (5) in Event Log, causing the VM to close, but not crash). Eventually, I gave up.

Vista Starter will run, just not use more hardware resources as the internal limit imposes. There's a limit for running applications as well (3 at a time).
    Windows 7 Starter only has the well known customization limits (that can be circumvented).

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yep, the Synthetic CPU feature exists. It isn't for the normal user, however, and thus not exposed in the GUI.

7. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    infinite
    period.

8. EvilRaiser

EvilRaiser MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2011
    Two.
    One only for internet banking and one for the Windows Insider Program.