How much do you know about your drinking water?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Michaela Joy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Are you just "a bit of an animal" or are you a real lion, m8? :p :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    When it's time to hand to hand combat, a lil kitten with a lion's balls hahahaha.

3. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    LOL. That ozone hole was mine!

That post actually brought back a 30 year old memory.
    Recharging the AC on a trailways bus after another tech had "fixed" it.
    System pulled and held a vaccuum OK so I started charging it.
    I didn't notice the condenser fan belt was missing.
    I found out though after charging it with about 50 pounds of R-12 and the blow-off valve went off.
    You literally could not see the bus because of the freon cloud.

Oops. :dunno:

4. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    Didn't the guy who came up with one of the original ones also come up with leaded gasoline? :boxing: 1.2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    [​IMG]

:biggrin:

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #67 gorski, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    OTT: instincts

Nobel prize for biology to anyone who proves this in Humans...

For instance:

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, f**k!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39001011

Plastic 'nurdles' found littering UK beaches

[​IMG]

A search of 279 beaches around the UK has found that almost three-quarters of them were littered with tiny plastic "nurdles".
    Volunteers signed up to search their local shoreline, ranging between Shetland and the Scilly Isles, for the lentil-sized pellets, used as a raw material to make plastic products.
    They can cause damage to such wildlife as birds and fish, which eat them.
    The findings will be reflected in a government study into microplastics.

What's the problem?

Campaigners estimate that up to 53 billion of the tiny pellets escape into the UK's environment each year.
    This happens during the manufacture, transport or use of plastic products.
    The nurdles are often spilt accidentally into rivers and oceans or fall into drains where they are washed out to sea.
    Experts warn nurdles can soak up chemical pollutants from their surroundings and then release toxins into the animals that eat them.

The Great Winter Nurdle Hunt survey was carried out by 600 volunteers over a weekend in early February.
    The largest number recorded were found at Widemouth Bay, Cornwall, where 33 volunteers collected some 127,500 pellets found on a 100-metre stretch of beach.
    But there were some beach hunts that yielded no nurdles at all, including Spurn Point in Yorkshire and Sully beach in south Wales.
    Nurdles are one of the main sources of "primary microplastics" - small pieces of plastic which have come from larger items broken down into little bits - in European seas.

The Great Winter Nurdle Hunt

53 billion
    nurdles estimated to escape into the UK environment each year

• 230,000 tonnes estimated to be entering the ocean in Europe annually
    • 73% of 279 shorelines surveyed had plastic pellets on them
    • 127,500 nurdles were found on one 100m-stretch of beach in Cornwall
    Source: The Great Winter Nurdle Hunt survey, 2017

Have you found nurdles or other interesting rubbish on a beach near you? Send your pictures and comments to haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk

What can be done?

Madeleine Berg of Fidra, a Scottish environmental charity which organised the hunt, said it showed action was needed.
    "Simple precautionary measures can help spillages and ensure nurdles don't end up in our environment," she said.
    "We are asking the UK government to ensure best practice is in place along the full plastic supply chain, and any further nurdle pollution is stopped."
    One of the companies that has signed up to Fidra's Operation Clean Sweep is Scottish hauliers, John Mitchell, who distribute plastic pellets.
    Each of their transporters are fitted with spill kits and black bin bags to collect spilled pellets, which are then recycled.
    Plastic oceans: What do we know?
    The beaches where Lego washes up

Another step in wider 'war on plastic'

The findings come after another campaign by Fidra, which saw Johnson & Johnson announce that their cotton buds will no longer have plastic stems.
    As of this week, the multinational company will change their buds from plastic to paper in almost half the world's countries, including the whole of Europe, in an attempt to cut marine pollution.

Plastic stems are one of the most common items of litter found on UK beaches. They end up in our oceans after the cotton buds - which are not supposed to be flushed down the toilet - enter the sewage system.
    Waitrose, John Lewis, Marks and Spencer and the Body Shop are among the brands already selling non-plastic cotton buds.
    A further 10 retailers including Tesco, Boots and Mothercare have said they will change from plastic to paper stems by the end of 2017.

Have you seen nurdles or other rubbish items on a beach near you? Are you a beachcomber with pictures of nurdles or unusual items that you have found? Send your pictures and comments to haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk
    Or you can contact us in the following ways:
    WhatsApp: +44 (0)7525 900971

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: That same thing happens with pharmaceuticals being flushed down the toilet. Water treatment plants are not equipped to remove them from our water.

So, you end up getting dosed with some other persons meds. :eek:

Industrialized farms do the same thing. Their runoff ends up in the water supply, and the effects are terrible on waterways all around the globe.

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    o_O :puke2: :wallbash:

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    This is strange, I just went on google maps to look at my teen age years stomping and hunting grounds and those maps have been updated.
    The strange part is that in the last maps ( all the way back to the beginning of Google maps ) you could see where the springs were leeching the minerals out of the ground in large bands, which was especially noticeable in the fields.

"Today's" view of the entire area looks a whole lot drier, healthier and there are NO bands, yet the "river" levels seem about the same. :g:
    ( I am referring to about 50 square miles of nothing west of the Elmira, NY area )

13. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @JFKI: Google probably "doctored" the maps. They do that.

That's why Google maps can't be trusted.

14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  16. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    #76 bear_aussie, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    gawd im glad I live on the sunshine coast

we put our local dam in exactly the right place: up on top of a mountain in a natural hollow with no farms/industry/anything around it - because its up on top of a mountain and seriously inconvenient to build anything up there

so thats where baroon pocket was shoved

seriously you can go up there without any water bottled or otherwise

head out on your boat/jetski*/hyperspace-capable starship^ - or even just flop your deckchair at the waters edge - with a glass in your hand

when you get thirsty just dunk your glass in and drink it on the spot - its that good

edit - further much of the sunny coast is "new" - that is its only been built recently with shiny new water pipes etc - no 60 year old mains pipes, with half a century of crud rust and other horrors in them

* permit required
    ^ breakthrough in the science of space travel required

17. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I take a sample from my well water to a local licensed state certified laboratory once a year. They check & compare my geographical location from their database to others in my area that have been tested and use that as a guide to which of over 100 contaminants they should test for. The more contaminants they include to test for, the higher the co$t. My water is tasteless, odorless, leaves no stains on plumbing and scores above average in the analysis report.
    Some included contaminants tested in my sample - pesticides , lead ,arsenic, radon, uranium coliform bacteria, nitrates, sulphate, sodium, chloride, fluoride, pH, iron, fertilizers ,manganese, total dissolved solids, arsenic, hardness...etc

18. hongta

hongta MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2017
    I only drink water which is produced by a reputed company

19. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Yep, I know my drinking water, it's why I always buy the 2 1/2 gallon poland springs water. It's all I will drink as water goes when I am at home.

Even the taste of tap water is bad in my eyes.... If I run out of my poland springs, I will drink other things and wont touch the water.

Been doing this for over 20 years now...

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I know for a fact the fish have peed in your water