How often do I need to reinstall Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by simon726, Jan 1, 2014.

1. simon726

simon726 MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2013
    Hey guys,

I was wondering that I have a desktop that runs Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit edition. My motherboard is an ASUS M2A-VM motherboard that runs on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor at 2.2GHz. The last time that I did a major reinstall was back in April 2013 and at that time, I realized that my ASUS motherboard is capable of running a 64-bit operating system. I'm used to reinstalling 32-bit operating systems in the past, but installing a 64-bit OS was a challenge for me.

In order for me to install a 64-bit OS (and to take advantage of the 8GB memory capability), I have to update the BIOS for my motherboard, which I did without any problems. Based on the documentation supplied by my motherboard and after I had updated my BIOS, I have to take out the CMOS battery to reset the clock - reconfigure the jumpers to reset and place it back in and from there, I can install a 64-bit operating system.

Anyways, back to my situation - every spring - I often have to reinstall the operating system - just to maintain a "good state of repair". It's a very labo(u)r-intensive process but I'm used to it.

General housekeeping is one idea to keep my OS in good condition, but re-installation is often necessary in case there's a virus infection, hardware issue, etc.

So to summarize, is it necessary to reinstall my operating system each time? How often do I need to reinstall it?

2. zorror

zorror MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2013
    According to me it just depends on how often do you experiment with windows ie. install new software etc. Considering you do your fair bit of experimentation reinstalling every 1yr is not bad. It just depends on you, ii usually determine it on the basis of swell in the size of Windows folder and other system folders.
    In case of viruses you can always restore the system from safe mode. In case a virus spread to the entire windows it is reasonable to reinstall windows but considering that you have to update windows customize its views and reinstall your programs it is definitely a lengthy process.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...