How often do you reboot ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TranNhatThanh, Aug 10, 2010.

1. TranNhatThanh

TranNhatThanh MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    How often do you restart your PC ?
    I have been advised by friends on many different theories on shut down cycles and I was hoping to get some professional opinions :hug2:

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    I restart my lappy several times a day and the hard drive has been formatted more then 2 hundred times in over 3 years testing my windows and other stuff ....Toshiba - working horse :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    My laptop I shutdown after every use (several times a day). Desktops I leave on unless I plan on being afk for several hours at a stretch (like overnight). I see no major benefit from leaving the computer on 24-7 aside from quick access. My startup time is <50 sec so it's not a major problem for me (I don't mind waiting).

4. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 kubato, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    Shutdown cycles or rebooting? Hard drives have a count in the smart info on the number of restarts but, the restart count exceeds the life of the drive. In the old days, it was better to keep drives running because they did not park the heads off the platter but, now they all have parking spaces to keep them safe.
    You will wear your drive out more if you defragment all the time but, once again it is not worth the worry. Hard drives like car tires wear every time you use them but, you have to use them so just keep an eye on wear with a program like Hard Disk Sentinel. It will warn you when your drive is getting weak and time to replace but, you should get about 5 (1800 days) safe years at least from every drive in your PC but, laptops are less 3 (1100 days) years.

5. killercat

killercat MDL Member

May 28, 2010
    :D lol i never need to reboot because lights go off often here :D:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pewntest

pewntest MDL Novice

May 19, 2010
    I utilize standby and hibernation at night more than I actually shutdown, so I would say once every few days after applying system updates. Pressing the power button usually entails a trip for coffee, so there is no real delay for me.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And why would you do that?
    If I have to restart once every few days it already makes me upset
    In your case I would go MAD

sebus

8. C-Link

C-Link MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2010
    I reboot when updates says so. Other than that, I usually hate to do it.

9. mongen

mongen MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I send all my PCs to sleep when I'm not using them - the only time they reboot is when applying updates or if a game crashes/BSOD while overclocking...

10. fubar121

fubar121 MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2009
    I agree with these two features the only reason you would need to restart is software updates and forced reboots. Although hibranate is really just shutting down with saving state. so 6 in one & 1/2 dozen in the other.

11. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I shut down my home (desktop) PC's when I'm finished w/ using them for the day, like when I'm going to crash (go to bed @ night).
    My work (desktop) PC I don't usually reboot it but shut it down on Friday for the weekend when it wont be used.

12. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    i usualy try to streach out reboots to once a week..
    but with win 7 64 bit not working well with free ram xp pro
    i barely get 3 days inbetween reboots scvhost gobles up 100 megs of ram and so dose mcafee 100 mb of ram
    ide switch to another AV but they ALL goggble up 100 mb of ram because x64 AV is required with x64 windows

i have a compaq persario with an AMD athlon II 2.8 ghz AM3 3 gigs of ram 500 gig hdd and 6150 geforce videocard

i have 1.5 gigs of ram free at idle if im lucky with firefox open i have 1.2 gigs of ram avaliable

13. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I usually shut down a couple of times a day...but starting to use hibernate just now. I used to always disable it for OC reasons alone, seems that the bios options that provide the advanced save state interfere with ability to OC.............

14. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    after every memoryleak (..................) and before maintenance i turn it off..

15. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    about once or twice a month. After windows update and some driver updates. Haven't seen any memory leaks what so ever. Sometimes I even skip win update if there is nothing important.

As a side note xp and vista worked several months without boot just fine also so nothing new with win7 in this area :cool:

16. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I restart my pc a couple of times a day. Just depends how much time Ive spent on it and what Ive done. But usually, its two or three times a day. I defrag about once a month. I try and keep only what I need to on my pc.