How on earth is this OS supposed to be finished in 5 weeks?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nuhkka, Jun 21, 2015.

1. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Build 10147 is quite good I must say.

However, it still requires huge amount of polish.

Eg.
    • I was slightly confused while changing a simple thing like screen resolution as the actual resolution adn DPI size was hidden. I MEAN WHY THE FARK DO THEY HAVE TO HIDE RANDOM THINGS EVERY NOW AND THEN????
    • Secondly, Windows Update feels less user friendly. It gives a feeling that it will do whatever it wants to do in the background while giving you the middle finger.
    • Some of the changes are extremely annoying like Quick Access in This PC. When we had favorites, libraries, folders, we need one more thing which does the same thing.
    • OneDrive cannot be disabled no matter what. It hangs in left pane of This PC like some stubborn child.

2. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #182 coromonadalix, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    yeah second that, to know that enterprise is the only one we can have control over the updates download pisses me off ... and yeah again why it must be so complicated to do a simple setup like display settings, clock settings ....

Every iteration of windows since 95 has become less and less friendly

Xp was the most configurable / tweakable version made ever, M$oft gave us a look and feel, good functionality, etc ...

after that little by little they made windows crappier than the one before, I fuc#@$% hate tabbed browsing, since they have come up with this, i've stopped using office for those reasons, in windows the file management become worse, i manipulate a ton of files, and i had to resort to third party software

3. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #183 sevenacids, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Regarding OneDrive, try to disable it via group policy and it will go away (Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive and then enable "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage"). This is how it works on 8.1, I'm not sure if it does on 10 but I don't see why not.

EDIT: Or just search the web for "OneDrive remove from navigation pane" for a registry tweak.

4. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I doubt they have a month, they're probably already going through the builds to pick the rtm release candidate.

5. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I would like to give some constructive criticism about this...

But since MS, in its infinite wisdom, haven't given Insiders a newer build than 10130, it's pretty much impossible to say something other than if the final build is anything close to 10130 we'll have a disaster on par with Windows Millennium or Vista.

T

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    they give out some critical builds like 10130 to receive special feedback on certain issues which they do not want to handle internally. All other testings are done at "home" like it was in the past. Insider program is nothing else than promoting the new OS

7. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Quick Access bugs me the most. Last time I tried, pins in QA are the same as the ones in the taskbar. I keep them separated and this change is very annoying.

I stopped caring about their start menu when I got to see it reduced to a Win9x style menu and internet search which can not be disabled. Long live Classic Shell.

8. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

#188 mysteriously, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    I think they will push one more build for Insiders in 2 weeks or so, the last one before RTM. It would be like RTM candidate, without any major bugs.

I had few Insiders builds and has found nothing more user friendly in comparison to Win 7. I like Win 95 icons more and this new awful start menu makes me vomit. ON/OFF buttons in control panel settings... gimme a break.
    However there are some things they improved in 10...

I'll see if RTM version is faster than 7 on my laptop. If so then I will use it. If insiders gonna get it for free (and opt-out for new builds) then then why don't use it?

9. LEGGYMAMBO

LEGGYMAMBO MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2014
    #189 LEGGYMAMBO, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    I can honestly say this is the ugliest os I've ever seen. Way too "app'y" for my liking. If this is the future of the most common os available then god help us. There should really be an option to install this without the "store" and all the crap apps it installs. If I want to know what the weather is like next week, or if I want to catch up on the news, I'll use my phone thanks.

Appears that everyone love's Win 7, so why they didn't build from that and make this even better god only knows.

I feel this has been too rushed, and no way near ready for RTM from what I've seen, and I've been a beta tester for MS since Win 95 (chicago). FFS, no update for insiders for a month so close to RTM. Once upon a time, we'd get a release more than once a week.

This os is purely about money, nothing more. MS keep saying they want to listen to everyone about this os, I don't think they've listened one little bit, and they should really hang their heads in shame over it.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #190 Espionage724, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    One issue I find annoying is lack-of certain media support still. Very few of the media I have that's in .mkv with subtitles either doesn't play outright, has no video, or has no subtitles. Neither WMP nor the Music app support .oga formats (which is only a typical .ogg with an extension to specify that it's audio-only).

11. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    ^^ True. Microsoft can't even get basic things right. Eg. Subtitle support and control over size font and showing them in the black bars below the actual movie frame.

Right now my embedded subtitles show up at top left corner and that too in some very large font. Makes me cringe.

12. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    you do know you don't have to pin the apps to start or even use them for that matter.

13. maxb2000

maxb2000 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Good luck for you. For me in the Movies and TV apps the subtitiles doesn't work even I set them from CC section and when I want to skip a part the app crashes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    #194 Shayne, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Leaving them on 10130 when 10147 is available is a stroke in PR genius. In M$ we trust, all hail M$.

Regards

Edit: anyone else having a bit of trouble knowing what window is active? Is there a setting for this somewhere?