How on earth is this OS supposed to be finished in 5 weeks?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nuhkka, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Sorry if I've been gone for awhile but here goes...

You guys keep saying the words "RTM" like it actually means something. We are at the stage where RTM does not mean anything. Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 will not be feature complete for some time so in reality Windows 10 has not reached RTM status. Basically management has decided they need to push an OS as fast as they can to the public with it being half baked. This means we won't see a true RTM of Windows 10 for some time. In other words please stop saying RTM and start saying well its being pushed on this date regardless of the overall build quality. In my mind this is just a slow moving train wreck where bugs are not taken care of and the time to fully test the OS is not taken. Along with making it a nightmare for the enterprise / business people looks like this is going to be very funny to watch. Ya cause everyone can totally handle full build updates at any given time. I'm still wondering how businesses and the full enterprise guys are gonna handle this.

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i agree...i dont think enterprise IT will be jumping into 10 any time soon.

3. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Well said.

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Enterprise is on the slow track and we are allowed to choose when and how and what we update. Unlike home versions, enterprise users will have a choice when to update or not.

and

RTM RTM RTM RTM RTM RTM RTM RTM because I can hahaa

5. LLStarks

LLStarks MDL Member

May 17, 2011
    As an Arch user myself, the rolling comparison is pretty accurate.

Windows has desperately needed this. Every build can bring new features and kernel updates whereas you'd be lucky to have a build increase with an service pack in the past.

7... 8... 8.1... everyone gets hype for RTM and then suddenly you're stuck with a stale, unchanging OS for years. That problem may very well disappear forever with 10.

I wouldn't worry too much about enterprise. Certain editions/licensing will be guaranteed stable add no features for 10 years.

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Someone at Intel said a couple years back to not use any Microsoft OS until the SP1, if there is no proper RTM then when is the SP1 :laie:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LLStarks

LLStarks MDL Member

May 17, 2011
    #27 LLStarks, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    When can we start expecting Fall Update and Redstone builds to hit insiders or start leaking?

Btw, I don't believe Microsoft when they say Windows 10 will be last proper release

Maybe it's the end of the line for the NT kernel until everyone figures out what the next OS paradigm is going to be

8. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I had only 2 bug over the last 5 builds and both are fixed in 10147 its probably the hardware your using it on because runs better than 8.1 for me on my x99 rig.

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    When someone says well it looks kinda sorts stable. Though I have no clue if there will be an sp1. Lets just wait until Update 2 or 3. I feel thats what they'll call it because Service Pack is too old and not modern enough for the people at Microsoft.

10. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Windows 10.1 you mean lol

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    No i mean Windows 10 update 1 because no sane person would roll out a brand new OS less than a couple months from their supposed RTM.

I feel we need to say it will reach RTM in the next week or 2 and we need to just say it ain't gold.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    fixed that for ya ^_^

13. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    RTM = release to manufacturing. On one point before 29.July, Microsoft has to release a RTM version. Million and millions of real copies of Windows 10 going out to every store in the whole world.
    And then you have all the factories like Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, Lennova etc etc, that need that RTM, so they can start build computers with Windows 10, and have to send them around the world to every store. It take times.

And if you buy a copy of Win10 in the store, you want a product that work, not to be a part of a Inside program.
    Likewise if you buy a computer with a Win10 sticker on it, Microsoft has told us that computers like that, will work 100% with Windows 10.

So they can't send out a buggy preview version for this. That will mean that all the millions of Windows 10 DVD that get printed up will just be s**t, and store will have the DVDs for months, maybe years. Think about all the customer complaints stores will get. That will be bad business for everyone selling Windows products, and bad PR for Microsoft.

So, they do have a RTM version to all the manufacturing plants out there. Trust me. Dell can't start making Win10 computers before they have a RTM versions, then they will test it against their hardware, then, if all is OK, they will start mass producing this product.

14. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    this.. MS only give us the builds they want thet have lots more build after 10147 ( the ones vmnext or buildfeed don't see . I have beta tested 2 wow expansions and its was the same .

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Many of these builds don't even sysprep. I find it extremely strange that simple tasks like this are failing.
    Even their adk tools are full of bugs. Scanstate can't create a provisioning package, etc. It's been a real mess.
    I would expect oem's to be able to download Win10 rtm 2 weeks before public launch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Haven't tried sysprep on w10 yet, but that's a very bad sign, indeed.

17. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #37 Muerto, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

18. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    they probably have the final build already if rtm is end of month or almost if its second week of july.. we are only seeing a test version of the final product

19. orlaf

orlaf MDL Addicted

Jan 22, 2015
    Various branches that merging every new fbl_impressive build

Today is not yesterday like how tomorrow is not today, we were able to ascertain how in 17 build all has changed more than expected.

But you have probably noticed all this before me

20. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    they definitely don't have the final build on hand at this moment. They eagerly making one build after the other on a day and night shift base, believe me. This is the hot phase of development and the build machine runs hot. Sign off will be shortly before RTM gets sent to OEMs. Since deployment of OS to OEMs is a very fast thing these days they can produce their machines and put them on shelves July 29th. Perhaps MS tries to bring out Surface 4 a little bit earlier to be competitive against the big players in our markets but it can only be a handful of hours or days ...