How OS trial period expires in Virtualization?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by blackranger, Aug 5, 2010.

1. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
  2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I never designed IR4 thinking it was genuine so to speak but still think it's less exploitive than activators and worrying about the law or stuff like that has never been what I do. I think people will start being that serious if WAT has crushed us all and another reason I developed IR4 as a back up plan that I use today not later...

And aren't VM's kinda slow comparatively speaking to want to really wan't to use 7 that bad...lol

3. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #23 blackranger, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    (OP)
    Quite interesting after seeing guys' all ur posts. I now notice that it is a wrong decision to post my question in MDL as almost all stuff in this forum are illegal.. :D lol
    So a short conclusion that summarize things that I understand is that It's difficult to judge whether a software is genuine both in virtual and actual/real, as laws may not cover areas that are new to us, for example editing virtual BIOS. So in this case we should register software as we like, lol, especially in nations that do not catch up with new technology.

Btw, virtualization technology has a long history, but actually are there enough advertisements and promotions about this technology in different nations? To be honest in the city I live, Hong Kong, virtualization technology is seldom/rarely promoted to citizens, the elders may not contact or know it unless they are going to buy a new modern desktop / laptop or are interested in IT.
    How about for those lawyers who handle these complicated stuff which do not have a definite judgement, right or wrong among virtual BIOS, adding a line in the .vmx file, or rearming and reseting rearm count, etc, well would they headache? My opinion is that to determine whether one is using illegal software is hard, for checking if he uses genuine serial is quite easy, maybe just call the manufacturer. But if one is using a crack in a not known software and changes a byte of registry or the original file, who knows? Like using a Win7 OEM emulator, M$' KB971033 WAT cann't detect it, so does this mean that in the future warez are undefeatable? Besides, software trial period no matter is 30 days, 15 days or 1 day evaluation, in virtual sandbox you can install any time you like, delete sandbox and build up the software again and repeatedly, there isn't a need for buying software. So, being worried about this bit, I want to know how programmers feel when they see their products being cracked?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    You were looking for a way to legally use Windows 7 for business purposes without paying (via grace mode) and I was providing the answer. It's one thing to knowingly break copyright, it's another to "assume" what you're doing is legal.

Windows 7 grace mode isn't a trial. It is only supposed to be used by people holding a legitimate licence to the OS. How do they check? Well, can you produce any proof of purchase such as a CoA or a receipt from an online store if you were audited?

Certain countries may provide provisions where it isn't illegal to "crack" software which you are entitled to use. That is, software which you hold a licence for.