how the hell do I upgrade a Win8 phone to Win10?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by piercekalton, Aug 11, 2015.

1. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I'm damn near returning this f'ing thing. What am I supposed to do?

Can I do it from powershell or whatever while it's hooked to my machine?

The Mobile 8 Interface is a complete nightmare. Will Mobile 10 even be any better?

2. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    to be honest all I want to do is put f'ing VLC on and it and be able to conduct normal telephone activities. both which seem impossible.

3. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    I've poked around every option, disabling almost all MS spyware that is on it, and trying to get it to work, to no avail.

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #5 Myrrh, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. compgen_1534

compgen_1534 MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2015
    New phone build coming soon

From Gabe Aul ;)

7. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    VLC app says you need Windows 10.

8. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    I would hope so because this sucks. I can't find anything or do anything. I thought this is supposed to be MS Windows?

9. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    plus the verizon app is a joke. is this honestly the best they can do?

10. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    do they still sell pagers?

11. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    #11 freiwald, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    lol why did you even bought a windows phone in the first place? everyone knows it is a complete failure except ms fanyboys. all ms apps are s**t and it will stay that way. just look on the desktop. no useable apps in the store... vlc is one of the best and it's still s**t. so are all ms own apps like onedrive etc. why don't they release a good app? they had so much time... beside from all of that the system itself is missing so many feautures. just take a look on the featurelist on the ms site... so much is missing and it will not make it into windows 10 mobile. this mobile system is dead! they f***ed it up so bad... i don't know why.

but hey you can download candy crush by now... finally after years of waiting. but it's like 3 or 4 updates behind android/facebook lol. this windows store is sooo done

12. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    the last thing i want is facebook. i want to customize the phone so I have a working phone app up front, then swipe left or right for other custom apps maybe vlc or firefox. and what is this joke 10gb per month from verizon? everything I do will have to be transferred via USB from a home computer. none of this makes any sense. and there should be ONE option and ONE option alone to shut off location gathering and other spyware.

13. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    i had no idea it was going to be this bad.

14. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    also, I have no confidence Android or Apple is any better.

15. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    is there some way to route calls to a flip phone via bluetooth maybe? that would be good.

16. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    im sorry i can't tell you. if you don't got it for a long time now maybe you can still switch to another phone and turn it back to them? in europe we got 2 weeks to send back everything without the need to state any further comments why.

17. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    the whole thing is hopeless. everyone is stuck with some disgusting device covered in finger grease and full of open holes and prone to viruses. it's a f**king disaster.

18. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    It sounds like you are confused about what Windows Phone can/can't do. Windows Phone can not run standard windows (win32) programs. You cannot download an exe from the internet and install it. Windows phone 8.1 can only run apps made for the phone from the windows store. This is pretty much the same with any phone out now. Android phones can only run android apps and apple phones can only run iOS apps. Apple phones can't run Mac OS X apps either.

Windows Phone 10 is not out yet but it will be able to run universal apps. Meaning, an app made for Windows 10 desktop will also work on the phone. However, it has to be a universal app and not an old win32 exe program. Those will never work as they won't work on ARM processors, which phones use. This is the advantage of Windows 10 over the other OSes. You will still likely have to install them from the windows store.

There is a phone version of VLC which works fine. However, there is no version of Firefox that will work on Windows phone and won't be until they get off their asses and make a true universal app. They probably will eventually.

You can download Windows 10 for you phone now by joining the insider program, but it is still beta and there will be bugs!

Is this your first smart phone?

19. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    i think you didn't understand him. he tried to install the vlc app version all the time... it's not about normal dekstop applications. of course they will not work :)

20. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Build 10512 is available starting today, on Fast ring for Insiders.

Translated for OP: F'ing Build 10512 is f'ing available starting today, on f'ing Fast ring for Insiders, dammit!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...