how to access files and folders in my laptop using PC ethernet connection

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jraju, May 21, 2016.

1. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi,
    I want a simple form of reply , step by step , of how to do above. My laptop is having xpsp3 and wireless connection thro combo modem.
    My windows 7 pc connected with ethernet card , which does not have wifi support.
    The laptop could be browsed with wifi connection thro router settings.
    The pc is connected to internet thro ethernet.
    I want to access the folders in the laptop, in all the drives in laptop . I might want to edit and save some of them from my windows 7 pc. Once i selected the bold, it will not change to normal. Pl advise

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    The Problem is , i have tried those things. The exact problem is , when i try the 1st link, how to geek, i get two pcs name in the network. But , when i click, it asks for pw. I supplied for the laptop wifi , thro router.But it asks for another user name and password to connect to the laptop. I do not have any username or password for my pc. If i click continue the pw screen remain
    Please understand that everybody would be trying to surf the net and do themselves the task of searching before coming to this forum for expert advise.
    The same search results i have also seen

4. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, Today , i power on the laptop. In my pc, when i click the network icon and connected the available wireless network, it got connected. I have now one LAN and one wireless connected. But when i went to explorer and click the network, it shows only my pc and no laptop. I have enabled sharing in the advanced menu options. I do not know how to access the files in the laptop. Today, the laptop pc icon is also missing

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You have to enable Network on Laptop to and also share the drive which contains the files you like to access!

Please keep in mind: all Storage/Drives on both computers you like to access via Network, need to be shared!

Easy way, persume you want to connect from Laptop to W7 Desktop:
    1. get the local IP of the other W7 computer, like 192.168.1.101 (or what's the IP)
    2. on Laptop, in File Manager/Explorer type in address: \\192.168.1.101 [Enter]
    3. You should get a Log On screen from W7 computer
    4. type the Username and Password of the W7 Computer [Enter]
    5. you should now see all shared Storage/Drives of the Windows 7 computer and be able to access and/or copy them from/to the laptop!

Simple basic how Network works!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #6 jraju, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    (OP)
    I managed to get the pc icon of the laptop to my windows 7 pc. But when i double click it , it shows some error, and if i click diagnose the connection, i get this error
    file and print sharing resource is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.
    I have enabled file sharing in both the pc and laptop. The only thing is the pc is having win 7 and laptop is having xp

Attached Files:

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    What XP Version you run on Laptop: Home, Professional, Enterprise or what?

Also, you must allow connection to any running Firewall!

Google is your Friend! Check for any single error on Google and take the time to really read what's presented!

Keep in mind, that the Network Settings are important as well! Give all computers a fixed local IP, even the Laptop on WiFi. The Netmask and Gateway should match! If you use, let say: 192.168.1.x, the Netmask should be 255.255.255.0 while the Gateway address (Modem/Router) should mainly be 192.168.1.1, and maybe 192.168.1.254 (not much used).

To find the existing settings on each of the connected Computer, open the Control Panel and click on Network and Sharing Center. Here you could check and also change the NIC Adapter Settings for each of the available NIC's, on your Laptop at least 2: Ethernet and WiFi! Set for all computer on the network appropriate settings, different for the machines local IP and exact the same for Netmask and Gateway.

Regarding the login on the other machine via LAN, if you didn't use the same Username and Password on both Computer's, the should be a Logon Window pop up and you've to key in the Username and password of the other computer. Keep in mind that you need to have set Sharing correctly or you could 'see' the other machine and connect but doing any work on it and/or copy/paste/delete files etc.!

8. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, Pisthai
    Your quote
    Give all computers a fixed local IP, even the Laptop on WiFi.
    another quoted line
    on your Laptop at least 2: Ethernet and WiFi! Set for all computer on the network appropriate settings, different for the machines local IP and exact the same for Netmask and Gateway.
    Hi pisthai,
    long time no see. I had valuable advise from you from this site long ago. Your name is unique and could be remembered for any number of years.
    Hi, I know that i am missing something on windows xp professional , having sp3 and all updates.
    Each device is allotted different ips, when i checked ipconfig /all. Should i change this ip , preferred one, for laptop with the preferred IP of my pc to connect to my pc. the subnet mask is the same , as you quoted.Please clarify. I know that i am missing something. I had made sharing in both the computer and laptop. In computer in advanced settings and in laptop in the Lan, settings for ipv4 in the sub menus.

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    differs in Just use the command IPCONFIG in CMD for to get the local IP! Important: The first 3 Number Blocks must be for all the same, just differs in 4th block from 2 till 253! 1 and 254 should be only used as the Gateway (Modem) Address!!

And again: in- and outgoing Traffic must be opened in Firewall for every used local IP, Computer, NAS or whatever used a local IP!

Try simply, as explained the manual connect to the local IP of target Machine, that simply should work and open the Login Screen!

12. goofyskyhero

goofyskyhero MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2009
    Try Teamviewer, free for home users. You can operate your XPs from your Win7 as if you are sitting in front of your XPs, you can also copy and transfer files between PCs, etc.

13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    set windows 7 filesharing setting to 40 or 56 bit encryption.. done.
    also check date and timezone of all pc.. and router timezone too!